The marquee matchup of the 2018-19 FA Cup fifth round will play out on Monday, as Chelsea play host to Manchester United in a rematch of last year’s final.
Oddschecker shows that bookmakers have installed the hosts as the favourites with even odds, while United come in at 29-10. A draw (after 90 minutes) carries odds of 11-4.
Monday’s outing falls during the middle of a busy and vital stretch for both teams, and both Maurizio Sarri and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be forced into making some difficult choices.
Chelsea are coming off a 2-1 win at Malmo in the UEFA Europa League, a much-needed positive result after a difficult stretch domestically. The Blues have lost two of their past three Premier League matches and are sliding down the standings, needing to recover fast to keep their bid for a top-four finish alive.
Sarri and his troops will be in action again on Thursday for the return leg against Malmo, but he could opt to play some fringe players in that contest and use his top starters on Monday.
The Blues know it won’t be an easy outing, as assistant Gianfranco Zola was full of praise of the Red Devils:
Solskjaer will face even more difficult choices. His unbeaten start at the club came to an end on Tuesday, as Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain easily handled the Red Devils at Old Trafford, winning 2-0.
According to WhoScored.com United came out of that match with a host of injury concerns, with Jesse Lingard, Anthony Martial and Alexis Sanchez all possibly unavailable on Monday. And with a visit from Liverpool in the Premier League on the schedule for the following Sunday, Solskjaer may be forced into even more rotations.
The interim boss said the PSG loss won’t change the way United approach matches:
Chelsea have the home-field advantage and fewer injury concerns, but with two high-profile cup ties in one week―they are set to face Manchester City in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday―sandwiching the Malmo fixture, the schedule is not in their favour.
This contest may come down to whichever manager is more willing to trust his starters, but that may carry major risks down the road.
Prediction: Chelsea 2-1 United
- South Korea vs Bosnia: Live stream, TV channel, team news and kick-off time for friendly international
- Tyson Fury vs Sefer Seferi: Start time, live stream, TV channel and ticket info for fight night
- Poland vs Lithuania: Live stream, TV channel, kick-off time and team news for the international friendly
- Luxembourg vs Senegal: Live stream, TV channel, team news and kick-off time for the World Cup warm-up fixture
- Argentina vs Haiti: Live stream, TV channel, team news and kick-off time for the friendly international
- Peru vs Scotland: Live stream, TV channel and online, team news and kick-off time as Paolo Guerrero serves controversial ban
- Panama vs Northern Ireland: Live stream, TV channel, team news and kick-off time for the international fixture
- An American guide to the 2018 World Cup, Free live stream, TV, more
- Nigeria vs Czech Republic: Live stream, TV channel, team news and kick off time for international friendly
- Russia vs Turkey: Live stream, TV channel, kick-off time and team news for international friendly
Chelsea vs. Manchester United: FA Cup 2019 Odds, Live Stream, TV Info have 561 words, post on bleacherreport.com at February 17, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.