0 Have your say Unsurprisingly, Brexit was not billed as a ‘policy of self-harm’ – in the words of former Prime Minister John Major – but it is shaping up to be that way. Every now and then, it’s worthwhile remembering what we voted for, narrowly, on 23 June 2016.In the “our vision” section of campaign group Leave.EU’s website, updated since the referendum, it makes a series of well-known pro-Brexit statements such as the UK is “taking back control of our sovereignty”, enabling it pass its own laws on “immigration and our economy, including industry and energy”. Post-Brexit Britain would also be in a position to “improve upon our position as the fifth largest economy in the world by taking back control of our finances and trade deals”. And it adds – with either a poor choice of words or jaw-dropping, bombastic confidence – that Britain was “now in a position to dictate our own trade agreements with the rest of the world”. Leave.EU seems quite sanguine about the type of Brexit, including a “Norway-plus type model” as one possibility. Norway is a member of the EU single market.READ MORE: Mike Russell: Scotland facing ‘deep recession’ under no-deal BrexitThe “about… Read full this story
- Brexit: New UK plan for Northern Ireland to stay in single market
- Brexit: What UK nationals in Slovakia need to know
- EU citizens in UK denied vote in European elections
- Twitter Users Cast Doubt on UK Labour Party Leader's Manifesto About 'Better Britain'
- Indian professionals dominate Brexit-hit UK's visa hike
- Brexit: Split emerges among EU leaders over whether to delay
- General election: Corbyn 'naive to point of danger' over IS leader comments - Johnson
- UK narrowly avoids recession after economy grows 0.3% - but less than forecast
- Kogi 2019: Vote leader with experience, Knowledge as next governor – Wada
- Indicative votes – how did MPs vote on the different Brexit options and what happens next?
Brexit: This isn’t what the UK narrowly voted for – leader comment have 313 words, post on www.scotsman.com at February 7, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.