BRITAIN will be hit with “blizzard-like” conditions as 10cm of snow is expected to fall – prompting forecasters to issue a “threat to life” warning.
Temperatures are set to plummet to as low as -9C in places with wintry showers of rain, sleet, hail and snow to cause disruption from tonight.
Hill snow will start to move into Scotland from the west this afternoon before gradually pushing across northern England, Wales and the South West of the country.
The Met Office says daytime temperatures will struggle to reach more than 3C for many, triggering several cold weather alerts from Public Health England.
Dr Emer O’Connell of PHE said: “Experience shows us that every winter thousands of people are seriously affected and even die from illnesses linked to the cold.
“Protecting yourself from the cold may seem like common sense but many people do not manage to keep themselves warm.
“If you know someone at risk, someone over 65, anyone with dementia or a heart and lung condition, or a young child, check up on them and see if there’s anything you can do to help.
“All of us should be heating our homes to at least 18C, keeping up to date with weather forecasts and planning our days around them.”
Met Office forecaster Luke Miall said: ”Skies will cloud over across Northern Ireland and western Scotland, with some rain arriving here by the end of the afternoon.
“As that pushes into the higher ground of Scotland there will be some snow above say 300-400m.
“It’s a cold day nonetheless, feeling colder in the west as well as those winds strengthen – temperatures generally in the mid to high single figures.
“It’s as we go into Monday evening that things could turn a little bit more disruptive, especially across the north west.
“We could see hill snow and some heavy driving rain here, so some tricky conditions for that journey home.
“That system gradually pushes its way into northern England, giving some hill snow over the Pennines, Cumbrian Vales and eventually higher ground in Wales and maybe even the moors of South West England as well.
“Ahead of it though, it stays clear but the winds will strengthen so not turning quite as frosty as previous nights.
“Then behind it, as we go through the second half of the night we’ll see a fair scattering of snow showers pushing into the north and west.
“It sets us up for an icy start to Tuesday morning – be prepared for some tricky conditions if you’re heading out first thing.”
REALITY STAR ‘RAPED’
Two men arrested after reality star ‘raped’ at drug-fuelled party
CALL THE LAWYERS
Philip crash victim ‘considering personal injury claim’ against Duke
‘I’VE GOT A BOMB’
Lionel Richie son ‘arrested for threatening to detonate bomb at Heathrow’
CRY FOR HELP
Schoolgirl killed herself after saying ‘once I’m gone the bullying will stop’
Cold snap stalls with sunshine forecast… but -18C and 10in snow on the way
Met Office warns of ‘BLIZZARD’ & freezing fog today after -6C freeze overnight
In its outlook for Tuesday to Thursday, the Met Office says the snow will clear and conditions will become drier and brighter.
They said: “An icy start as rain and hill snow clears east on Tuesday, followed by blustery wintry showers.
“Staying cold thereafter, though generally drier and brighter.”
- What's In Your Weather Forecast?
- Predict the Weather As Well as the Guy on TV
- Warning the Gullible About Global Warming
- Weather As A Migraine Trigger
- Changing Face Of Holidays In The UK
- Israel Must Be Wiped Off the Map - Origins of Treasongate
- Winter Wonderland Trivia Quiz
- Ski Insurance and Skiing Off-Piste or Out of Bounds
- Three Steps To Safer Backcountry Or Heli Skiing
- The Presidential Death Cycle 2006/7
- Bodie Ghost Town: Spirits Passed
- Yosemite: Winter 2006
- Winter is Coming (Growing Old- A Story Out of Minnesota) Chapters 1 & 2 "The House and the Church"
- Am I In Love?
- What Is A Natural Disaster And What Can You Do To Prepare?
- Success And Survival Tips From Alaska - Do Not Surprise The Teddy Bears
- Ten Important Things To Know When Hiking Off Trail
- Surviving The Soon Coming Great Tribulation: Apostle's Series - Chapter Six
- Radical Islam Starts World War and Destroys UN Says Ancient Egyptian Prediction
- How to Make Sure You Are Safe on the Road
UK weather forecast: THREAT TO LIFE warning as 10cm snow falls today – see where with our maps have 772 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 21, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.