By Emma Teitel National Columnist Thu., Jan. 10, 2019 I’m generally not a fan of stigma. Neither are the countless organizations working as I write this to break down various stigmas in our society: the stigma of living with mental illness; the stigma of breastfeeding in public; the stigma of not breastfeeding at all; the stigma of halitosis; the stigma of thinking Beyoncé is just okay. Whenever we hear about stigma the goal is usually to do away with it. But sometimes stigma is a good thing. For example, our nation is a far better one on account of the following stigmas: the stigma of associating with white nationalists (see the downfall of one recent Toronto mayoral candidate); the stigma of clipping one’s toenails on public transportation; and the stigma of driving drunk. Now if only we could add to that list the stigma of distracted driving. Unfortunately though, no such stigma exists around the practice, even though it is currently the chief cause of car accidents in Ontario. It’s arguably more taboo for a new mom to breastfeed her baby on a park bench than it is for her to text a friend from behind the wheel. You will… Read full this story
- Canadian Judge Finds Woman Guilty of Distracted Driving For Looking at Her Apple Watch
- Heftier fines for distracted driving in Quebec start Saturday, cycists can’t use earbuds
- Death on foot: Distracted driving, cell phones factor in pedestrian deaths
- Virtual reality experience delves into dangers of distracted driving
- Apple, Google paving the way in anti-distracted driving tech
- Driver caught looking at Apple Watch fined for distracted driving
- Not getting the message? Police north of Seattle write 60 distracted-driving tickets in 3 hours
- Terrebonne Parish man arrested in fatal distracted-driving crash: police
- Mom of Teen Killed by Distracted Driver: Walk a Day in My Shoes
- Do you drive with a phone in your hand? So did this driver.
The stigma around distracted driving should be enormous have 319 words, post on www.thestar.com at January 10, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.