Mike Pompeo is set for a weeklong odyssey to the Middle East on Tuesday, at a confounding time for U.S. foreign policy in the region. Politico obtained drafts of his planned speech in Cairo, and it reportedly takes a hammer to Obama’s vision for U.S. policy with regards to Iran and the rest of the Middle East. It also, astonishingly, apparently praises Saudi Arabia for its handling of the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a dissident and Washington Post contributor who was brutally killed in Istanbul last year. Per Politico, Pompeo is “due to applaud Saudi Arabia for bringing to justice the killers of Jamal Khashoggi,” and suggest “that Iran could learn from the Saudis about human rights and the rule of law.” According to reports, the CIA has assessed that Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman personally ordered the murder of Khashoggi — a charge the Saudis deny. The country has charged 11 people — all low level security personnel — with the murder, which they claim was a rogue operation. Many of those charged are expected to be executed. The Politico report suggests Pompeo’s speech in Cairo will focus mostly on the administration’s efforts to combat Iran — a… Read full this story
- Saudi-Israeli diplomacy progresses amid looming Middle East challenges
- Daesh Wants to 'Take Over' Saudi Arabia - US State Department
- High-profile arrests in Saudi Arabia shore up crown prince's power
- Turkish Court Adds New Saudi Defendants in Khashoggi Trial
- US Treasury Secretary to Attend Saudi Event a Year After Khashoggi Murder
- Saudi Arabia Denies MBS Secretly Met Israeli Officials During Pompeo Visit
- Netanyahu, Mossad Head Secretly Visit Saudi Arabia to Meet Crown Prince, Pompeo, Israeli Media Claim
- Reports: Israeli PM Netanyahu Made Secret Visit to Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia vows to fight ISIS with an ‘iron fist’ after jihadists claimed responsibility for bomb attack on Remembrance Service
- Kanye West Says Jared Kushner Will Do 'More for Peace in Middle East Than Anyone in 30 Years'
Pompeo Reportedly Praises Saudi Arabia For Handling of Khashoggi Murder in Draft Middle East Speech have 318 words, post on www.mediaite.com at January 7, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.