World German conservative Friedrich Merz said on Friday he would not be taking a new post with the Christian Democrats, contradicting the party and exposing lingering divisions after he lost the race to succeed Chancellor Angela Merkel as CDU leader. 12 Jan 2019 01:06AM Bookmark BERLIN: German conservative Friedrich Merz said on Friday he would not be taking a new post with the Christian Democrats, contradicting the party and exposing lingering divisions after he lost the race to succeed Chancellor Angela Merkel as CDU leader.The CDU said on Thursday that Merz, a former Merkel rival, would take a party post focusing on economic policy and transatlantic ties. Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, a Merkel protege who beat Merz, congratulated him on his new CDU role on Twitter.But Merz said he did not commit to any party role despite offering to help Kramp-Karrenbauer craft a new vision for the CDU, which wants to win back voters this year in regional elections in three eastern states where the far-right is strong.”I am ready to help but I won’t be part of any commission or any committee of the party,” Merz told the n-tv broadcaster at an economic summit in Bavaria.Asked about the apparent turnaround, a… Read full this story
- Germany chides China over new Hong Kong security law
- Kuciak murder trial continued, Pellegrini introduces new party (news digest)
- The illegal raves that should make parents shudder: Our reporter goes undercover on the dangerous new party scene - awash with drug dealers - as revellers flagrantly ignore Covid rules and asks: why ARE the police powerless?
- Rebel SAD leader Dhindsa set to float new party today
- Fortnite hosted a Diplo concert in its new party mode
- Loved or loathed? How Germany's coronavirus tracking app is faring
- Germany to launch study probing racism among police
- Should Germany bring back compulsory military service?
- Trump's 'antifa' accusations spark debate in Germany, the movement's birthplace
- Coronavirus: Living in lockdown in Germany's Verl
Germany's Merz contradicts CDU on new party role have 327 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at January 12, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.