Gareth Bale needs to copy Cristiano Ronaldo to save his Real Madrid career, according to his former Wales boss John Toshack.
Toshack, who handed Bale his international debut back in 2006, believes the Welshman needs to step up as a replacement for the Portuguese superstar at Real Madrid.
He admits injuries have played their part in limiting the pacey winger during his time at the Bernabeu, where Toshack had two stints as manager between 1989 and 1999.
But he has urged the 29-year-old to become a greater influence on the way Real Madrid play and look to dictate their play as Ronaldo did before his summer departure to Juventus .
“Cristiano plays as a winger, scores and sets up goals for the others,” Toshack told AS .
“There’s no doubt that Gareth is one of the best players of all time.
“If he wants to continue there, he should try and copy what Cristiano does.
“If you look at what he’s achieved, it makes you wonder what he would have done if he hadn’t been so unlucky with injuries.
“So obviously, with the experience he has, maybe he can drop off a little and play short balls, drop deeper and read the game more.
“I hope that he goes on to do more than he’s done so far, because when you come back from an injury, you know that you have to start all over again.
“As for getting back to full fitness, he’s got to do that all over again and it’s something he’s had to do two or three times every season which sets him back.
“It’s been very difficult for him and as I say, he deserves credit for the way he’s persevered. What we could never have really imagined were the injury problems he’s had.
“I mean he’s lost almost as many games as he’s played and clearly that’s hampered his progress a little bit”.
Mirror Football’s Top Stories
- Cristiano Ronaldo Rumors: Real Madrid Star To Transfer To Manchester United, PSG Or Another Club In 2018?
- Manchester United sensationally turned DOWN chance to sign Cristiano Ronaldo before Real Madrid star joined Juventus
- 5 reasons why Cristiano Ronaldo is Real Madrid’s greatest ever player
- Will Cristiano Ronaldo leave Real Madrid?
- Gareth Bale very happy to remain at Real Madrid, says new coach Julen Lopetegui
- Mariano, the Man Bought to Replace Cristiano Ronaldo as Real Madrid's No. 7
- Can Marco Asensio succeed Cristiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid?
- Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Real Madrid, accepts transfer to Juventus
- Is Cristiano Ronaldo Missing Real Madrid?
- Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid Fans After Comment on Future: See You Next Year