An eight-month-old girl is in hospital after being shot in the face by a toddler in a New Mexico hotel.
Police say that Shayanne Nelson and Tyrell Bitsilly were in the shower in the hotel in Gallup on Saturday when Nelson’s three-year-old child found a gun and accidentally fired it, hitting the baby, reported the Associated Press.
According to police documents, Nelson, 18, claims she had been unaware there was a firearm in the room, and claims it may have been left there by a previous occupant.
The baby was taken to hospital, and her current condition is unknown.
Tyrell Bitsilly has been charged with child abuse after a toddler shot a baby in a New Mexico hotel room Handout
Both Nelson and Bitsilly face child abuse charges.
One witness told police he saw Bitsilly, 21, wipe the gun after it was fired.
A 2012 to 2014 study published in the journal Pediatrics found that on average 5,790 children in the United States receive treatment for gun injuries annually, with around 21 percent of these injuries incurred by shots fired unintentionally.
A four-year-old child accudentally shot a baby in Texas in March. Police said the shooting appeared to be an accident that took place inside the home in Temple.
In August, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence launched a campaign to reduce the casualties of so-called “family fire” or shootings involving unsecured firearms in the home.
According to the group, eight children are shot every day with unsecured firearms left in the home.
“We can all agree, eight children being unintentionally shot and injured or killed every day is simply unconscionable,” Brady co-president Kris Brown said in a statement. “Just like the term ‘designated driver’ changed perceptions about drinking and driving, the term ‘Family Fire’ will help create public awareness to change attitudes and actions around this important matter.”
The campaign urged parents to store firearms with a gun lock, keep them in an inaccessible location, and keep guns separate from ammunition.
However, a Rutgers School of Nursing study released in May of this year found that children who participate in gun safety programs often ignore what they learned when encountering a real firearm.
Shayanne Nelson has been charged with child abuse after a toddler shot a baby in a New Mexico motel room Police handout
- Hospital Throws Confetti Party For 10-Month-Old Boy Who Completed Chemotherapy Treatment
- Britain announces 626 more coronavirus deaths - including a six-week-old baby thought to be UK's youngest known victim - as death toll tops 31,000
- Mum issues stark warning after her six-month-old daughter nearly choked to death on a toy rattle
- Why I sold my baby for N130,000 — Orphan
- I sold my baby for N130, 000 out of hardship — orphan
- Teddi Mellencamp takes baby Dove for a hike in a carrier after sharing sweet sunset snap of her kissing her baby girl
- 'Can't shower in peace': Myer model Kris Smith complains 'nowhere is sacred' as he gets caught NAKED in the shower by girlfriend Sarah Boulazeris and their two children
- Kate Hudson sports colorful leggings with a yellow face mask featuring pink lips for her walk in LA
- Tiny baby born weighing just 1lb before NHS saved her celebrates first birthday
- All arrivals to Britain 'will be quarantined for TWO WEEKS and face £1,000 fines if they break rules which will be enforced by inspectors' under Boris' lockdown exit plan
- Baby killed, migrant parents injured in bike accident on Hyderabad outskirts
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Dame Vera Lynn's sadness as her charity faces its darkest hour due to coronarivus downturn
- 'You deserve the world': Aston Merrygold surprises pregnant fiancée Sarah Lou Richards with a virtual baby shower as couple prepare to welcome their second child
- She was fighting coronavirus and gave birth while in a coma. She met her baby five weeks later
- I turned my back for 60 seconds and my baby turned into a floppy ragdoll
- Liam Payne reaches out to former 1D bandmate Zayn Malik to congratulate star on baby news with Gigi Hadid
- Karan Mehra aka Naitik and wife Nisha Rawal blessed with a baby boy, share first photo
- The 14 best bath toys to make splish-splash bathtimes fun and safe for your baby
- How you can view the amazing Eta Aquariid meteor shower set to light up the skies across the southern hemisphere - but you'll have to get up early
- Katy Perry baby shower woes amid claim Orlando Bloom relationship is 'stressed'
Toddler Shoots 8-month-old Baby in the Face While Couple Showered Together in Motel Room have 728 words, post on www.newsweek.com at December 11, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.