Last May, Chase Koch, the 41-year-old son of billionaire businessman Charles Koch, gathered about two dozen wealthy young professionals for a weekend retreat in Vail. This was no regular Koch get-together, the kind of uber-elite gathering of big ideas and bigger checkbooks that Charles and his brother David have made a feature of their political activity for the better part of a generation. It was six months before the most consequential midterm elections since the mid-1990s. President Donald Trump was threatening massive tariffs on steel and aluminum. House Speaker Paul Ryan had just announced he would retire from Congress. But the group assembled in Colorado’s swankiest resort wasn’t there to talk about how to block the impending blue wave, or to listen to seminars promoting free trade, or debate the future of Republicans in the House of Representatives. In fact, politics barely came up. And yet this meeting—which received no media attention at the time—was the most consequential Koch-sponsored event of the year. That’s because this meeting, unlike the traditional Koch network event later that summer, wasn’t focused at all on policy and political giving. It was looking at the future of the Koch network itself, a club of several… Read full this story
- Do the Koch Brothers Really Care About Criminal-Justice Reform?
- The Kochs Can't Control the Monster They Created
- Jesse Ventura on How Democrats and Republicans Are Like Crips and Bloods
- Ohio Fugitive Who Didn't Like Mug Shot Sends Selfie to Police
- Black Hair Matters: The Affirmative Power of Politicians Like Ayanna Pressley and Stacey Abrams
- Democratic debate ends with clashes over race and political leadership
- Tax win will be huge for Trump, but don't bank on political windfall
- Trump Says ‘Many People’ Are Racist Like Him… and He’s Right
- Members of both parties see impeachment as a political winner in 2020, new Iowa poll finds
- 'Medicare for All' looks like a political loser for Democrats
The Next Koch Doesn’t Like Politics have 325 words, post on www.politico.com at December 14, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.