Postnatal depression is not an exclusive disorder for mothers. Fathers may also suffer from it and it is linked to emotional problems for teenage daughters. A study published on Wednesday in the journal JAMA Psychiatry showed that almost one in 20 new fathers experienced depression in the weeks after their child was born. Also, the researchers from University of Cambridge found a link between postnatal depression in men and depression in their daughters as they reached adulthood. Read also: Could giving birth to a boy increase a woman’s risk of postnatal depression? The “small but significant” increased risk applied only to daughters; sons were not affected, according to researchers, who identified the link based on more than 3,100 families in Bristol. They said that the reason for this effect could be that fathers’ depression increased maternal one and a disrupted family life caused more stress for all. However, it is unclear why girls may be more affected at age of 18. They suggested links of father-daughter relationships as girls go through adolescence.
- Children who get depression are SIX times more likely to die by the age of 31, study finds
- Tesco worker accused of murdering his wife, 40, and daughter, 18, 'had face of "pure anger" as he slit their throats with kitchen knife before "casually walking away like nothing had happened"'
- 'Psycho' Tesco worker, 40, accused of slitting his wife and 18-year-old daughter's throats with a kitchen knife appeared 'very calm' following his arrest just minutes after the horrific double 'murder', court hears
- EXCLUSIVE: 'All she wanted was to be a family': How a loving mother desperately tried to support her unhinged daughter - only for the troubled 25-year-old to allegedly decapitate her with kitchen knives
- ‘Suicide Is A Very Real Threat’: Pandemic Depression New, Growing Disorder Linked To COVID-19
- From a trip to Epstein’s ‘Paedo Island’ to depression, what became of Princess Diana’s page boys and bridesmaids?
- Teen Girls With Smartphones Flirt Most With Depression and Suicide
- Need mental health help? Your suburb could determine if you can get it
- My girlfriend and I broke up because of my muscular dystrophy – I love her enough to let her go
- Becoming a mum is meant to be a happy time – but we felt lonely, suicidal & had horrific visions of our babies dying
Postnatal depression happens to fathers, linked to depression in teenage daughters: Study have 374 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at December 28, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.