PUTRAJAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) – The federal government is not an “outsider”, said Malaysia’s Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad in a rebuttal to Johor Crown Prince Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim’s remarks over the controversial Pulau Kukup issue. “Malaysians are not outsiders. The federal government is not an outsider. We are responsible for all things in the country,” Tun Mahathir said, after attending an event on Monday (Dec 10). Tunku Ismail, in responding to a statement by federal Water, Land and Natural Resources Minister Xavier Jayakumar on the status of Pulau Kukup, had said as “an outsider, you don’t need to meddle on matters related to Johor”. The crown prince said only the Johor sultan had jurisdiction to override the state constitution. Pulau Kukup, located in the Strait of Malacca in south Johor, had been a national park since 1997 and is mostly uninhabited. Malaysians were surprised when it was recently revealed that the Johor state government, under Pakatan Harapan, had quietly degazetted the island to make it “sultanate land” of Johor. Known as the world’s second largest uninhabited mangrove island, Pulau Kukup is one of five Ramsar sites in Malaysia. Ramsar sites are wetland sites accorded international importance under the… Read full this story
- Coded rebuke as Japan's crown prince says: Remember war 'correctly'
- 'Hitman made SEVEN calls to the Saudi Crown Prince's private office' on the day Khashoggi was murdered before 'hit squad sent his fingers back to bin Salman to prove mission's success'
- Who is the Saudi crown prince who has been arresting cousins and consolidating power?
- Saudi leadership responsible for Khashoggi murder, says UN report
- 9 Notorious Prince Philip Stories
- Prince Andrew interview recap: Duke 'has no regrets' over Epstein friendship
- Bow for the King! Thailand's playboy monarch, 66, dons the Great Crown of Victory as he watches his ex-air hostess wife, 40, kneel in respect as his three-day coronation ceremony begins
- The Complicated Truth About Prince William's Relationship With Prince Harry
- The Crown season 3 revisits scandal of how the Queen covered up for cousin who was a secret Russian KGB agent
- Everything you need to know before watching season three of 'The Crown'
PM Mahathir chides Johor's crown prince for saying an 'outsider' must stay out of state affairs have 349 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at December 9, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.