Reporting by Bo Erickson, Rebecca Kaplan and Nancy Cordes Hoping to avert a government shutdown, House Republicans on Thursday passed a stopgap spending measure that included $5 billion for a southern border wall, putting it at odds with the Senate and increasing the likelihood of a government shutdown. No Democrats supported the measure. The Senate bill that passed Wednesday did not include the money for the border wall funding. The bill is considered dead on arrival in the Senate, which requires a 60-vote majority for passage. If it fails in the Senate, House leadership will have to decide whether they want to vote on a clean short-term funding bill on the floor — one without additional border wall or disaster funding. That would probably pass with almost entirely Democratic votes and a few Republican votes, sending it to the president’s desk. Mr. Trump said earlier Thursday that he would not sign the Senate bill passed Wednesday which would keep the government funded through February. Though the White House had suggested Wednesday that the president could find other sources of funding for the wall, his conservative allies railed against a bill without wall funding, and Reps. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., and Jim Jordan,… Read full this story
- Trump to boost request for border wall funding by half-billion dollars
- Frustrated Trump wants action on border wall, immigration
- GOP lawmaker introduces bill to crowdfund border wall
- Congressman Paul Gosar: Have the Army Build the Border Wall
- GOP immigration rebels push forward after Trump promises to veto any bill without wall funding
- Nigeria: Senate, House Pass 2018 Budget, Raise Spending to N9.1 Trillion
- Trump Vows To Reject Immigration Bill Without Border Wall Clause
- Would you donate money to build the border wall?
- Alexandria passes budget with no tax rate increase
- U.S. House passes bill to restart Yucca Mountain and look for interim sites for nuclear waste
House passes spending bill with $5 billion border wall funding, increasing likelihood of shutdown have 303 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at December 20, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.