Fast becoming the default navigation tool of the modern world, Google Maps is constantly being refined in order to best guide you to your destination. The latest update adds yet another mode of transport to the app.
Rolling out to 13 cities (listed below), Google Maps can now show you the location of nearby Lime electric bicycles or scooters – a company that offers the ability to briefly rent either of these vehicles for a nominal fee.
If you’re lucky enough to live in these cities, you’ll be seeing the option in your app shortly:
- Auckland (NZ)
- Brisbane (AU)
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- San Antonio
- San Jose
The option to find a nearby Lime bike or scooter shows up much the same way that Uber does, appearing as an alternative option below your list of public transport options. It will also indicate how far away the vehicle itself is, how long the journey will take, an estimated cost of the trip, the estimated distance coverage remaining on the vehicle’s battery, and the number of other Lime vehicles nearby.
It’s no surprise that Uber and Lime have had similar treatment by the navigation app, considering Google’s parent company, Alphabet, has heavily invested in both ride-sharing services.
There’s currently no word on whether other cities that have Lime services – such as Sydney, Australia – will be getting the Google Maps compatibility, but we’re willing to wager it will land in those regions in the coming months if the trial proves successful.
- Google Maps now lets iPhone-owning drivers help their fellow road users
- 44 Google Maps Tricks You Need to Try
- I rode electric scooters in SF for a day. Here’s why we need more of them.
- Lime hits 100M rides globally as e-scooter services continue to expand
- Google Photos now using A.I. to simplify editing and sharing images
- Google Pixel review: Nearly everything you'd want in a flagship phone
- Miami public transportation is getting Google Pay — and it could save you money
- Bike wars heat up with Lyft said to be near deal for Motivate
- The best electric scooters for 2019
- Did your rented e-scooter suddenly shut down? Blame the invisible geofence
- The 12 scooter companies that plan to roll through San Francisco
- Uber Partners With Lime, Electric Scooter Rental Company
- Lyft pulls its bikes from San Francisco streets after apparent battery fires
- Scoot’s e-bike sharing plan hits bureaucratic wall in SF
- Harley-Davidson to expand EV lineup, may include scooters, bicycles
- In Jakarta? Try the taxi on two wheels
- The Pixel 4 Wins by Being More Human
- The 100 Best Android Apps for 2019
- You have to wait 42 percent longer or more for Muni now than in 1949. Here's why.
- Ride-sharing apps: Taxis for the 21st century
Google Maps adds a twist of Lime to find you a scooter or bike have 471 words, post on www.techradar.com at December 13, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.