In response to Theresa May’s statement, the Speaker of the House John Bercow said that the decision to postpone the ‘meaningful vote’ has been leaked to the media in advance, before the parliament was advised. “Halting the debate… will be thought by many members of this House to be deeply discourteous.” Bercow said that a more democratic procedure would be for the PM to put the delay to a vote, rather than the PM making a unilateral decision. His subtle remark comes days after Theresa May’s government was found guilty of the contempt of the Parliament — a first for a British Cabinet in modern history. READ MORE: 1st Time in Modern History: UK Gov’t Ministers Found in Contempt of Parliament The PM’s spokesperson however confirmed that the decision to delay the ‘meaningful vote’ will not be put to a Commons vote. The final stages of the Brexit negotiations have rocked the relationship between the government and the House of Commons, consisting of MPs representing the British public. The House has challenged and won a battle with the government over the transparency of Brexit talks and the Cabinet’s accountability to the Parliament, which led Mrs. May to concede and admit on Monday: “I am clear from what I have heard in this place and from my own conversations that these elements do not offer a sufficient number of colleagues the reassurance that they need. I spoke to a number… Read full this story
- Von der Leyen 'hopes UK abandons Brexit'
- UK PM Boris Johnson Suffers First Leadership Blow in By-election
- Gutfeld on Trump’s visit to the UK and Brexit
- UK economy's 'worst month' since Brexit vote aftermath
- Houston budget vote delayed two weeks because of posting error
- UK's Labour vows to bring down PM Johnson and delay Brexit
- Embattled May Dangles Promise of New Brexit Vote
- Boris Johnson becomes UK PM, aims to win over doubters
- Race to succeed UK PM May centers on 'no deal' Brexit battle
- UK PM Johnson tells EU: ditch backstop or face no-deal Brexit
'FRIT': Thatcher's Word for May as Parliament Blasts UK PM for Brexit Vote Delay have 343 words, post on sputniknews.com at December 10, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.