And Australia’s in the box seat for both. The Geminid meteor shower, which peaks this Friday, is being billed as one of the most spectacular of the year. And Comet 46P/Wirtanen is just emerging from its dive past the Sun on a path that will bring it to its closest point to the Earth in more than 70 years. On December 17 it will pass by at some 30 times the distance of the Moon. WATCH: Where & when to see Comet Wirtanen WATCH: Where & when to see the Geminid shower WHERE: Light pollution, and where to avoid it THE CHRISTMAS COMET You can already see Comet 46P/Wirtanen with a pair of binoculars. And it is expected to be visible to the naked eye at its closest approach — though you will have to get away from any city glare. It’s going to be a fuzzy green blob, as its tail will be pointing away from Earth for most of its pass. Except for Friday this week. “There is a possibility of observing a dust tail or trail around December 14 when the Earth crosses the orbital plane of the comet and we see the enhanced dust tail edge-on,”… Read full this story
- Father Christmas set to light up Banbridge
- Liverpool city centre to get spectacular new Christmas lights
- Ho, Ho, Hang on a sec… Christmas decorations up in the summer?
- Huge comet will be visible in the sky this week
- 'Fair City' star Shiels 'burned bright like a comet'
- Have a spectacular Christmas party at The Roundhouse
- 16 Christmas events you need to book now... yes really
- Plymouth Christmas Lights switch-on date is announced
- Family events you need to book now for Christmas 2019
- Plymouth Christmas Market 2019 dates confirmed
‘Christmas’ and ‘Rock’ comets to put on a light show have 280 words, post on www.news.com.au at December 12, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.