World German conservative Friedrich Merz, who narrowly lost the race to succeed Angela Merkel as leader of the Christian Democrats, says he is ready to go back into politics full time and could even serve as a minister. 19 Dec 2018 01:55AM Bookmark BERLIN: German conservative Friedrich Merz, who narrowly lost the race to succeed Angela Merkel as leader of the Christian Democrats, says he is ready to go back into politics full time and could even serve as a minister.Merz’s loss to Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, Merkel’s protege, in the leadership contest this month, highlighted deep divisions in the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) that the party is eager to heal ahead of four regional elections next year.Merz told the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung that he and Kramp-Karrenbauer had discussed how he might work in the CDU, though he refused to divulge details.”I have renewed my offer once more to really go into politics with all my strength and to give up my previous work as well,” Merz told the newspaper in an interview released on Tuesday.Merkel, German chancellor for the last 13 years, decided in October to step down as party leader after the CDU haemorrhaged support in another regional vote.She still… Read full this story
- Kenney and UCP deny fresh allegations about irregular votes, kiosks in 2017 leadership race
- Republican, Democratic party leadership races heating up in Utah
- Michael Brown's mom Lesley McSpadden loses Ferguson City Council race
- Losing Evansville mayor's race 'dampens things going forward'
- Stitt taps two more for cabinet posts
- Chris Corrales to Present "CNC Technology Trends" at Cabinets & Closets Expo March 8 in Charlotte
- Post Time: Fountain of Youth full of talent
- Post Time: Double vision in Rebel Stakes
- Post Time: Derby trail heats up this weekend
- Post Time: Louisiana Derby next up on Derby Trail
After losing German CDU leadership race, Merz eyes cabinet post have 301 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at December 19, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.