One of the surprise stars of the World Cup has said he would find it difficult to turn down a January transfer to Manchester United should Jose Mourinho come calling.
Toby Alderweireld was Mourinho’s dream defensive signing but Spurs wanted big money for the Belgian and Woodward didn’t deem him a significant enough upgrade on United’s current options to sanction his arrival.
Signing a centre-back remains high on Mourinho’s list of priorities and one player who United could get for a much lower fee than Alderweireld is Andreas Granqvist, the Helsingborgs and Sweden defender.
Granqvist, 33, impressed alongside Victor Lindelof in the centre of Sweden’s defence in the summer as they reached the last eight of the World Cup.
Jose Mourinho Manchester derby press conference round-up
INJURY UPDATE: United give injury update before Man City fixture
AS IT HAPPENED: Highlights and reaction from Mourinho’s press conference
SQUAD LATEST: United players train ahead of Man City clash
He appeared on Swedish podcast Road to the Top earlier this week and was asked about potential interest from United.
“Should a club like Manchester United show an interest in January, it will be very hard to say no,” Granqvist said.
“It’s great to even be mentioned with a big club like Manchester United, it’s incredibly flattering. It’s a sign that I did a very good World Cup.
“I was incredibly pleased with my performances in 2018. We’ll see what happens. I do not think it’s so great, but there’s certainly something behind it. Then we’ll see how much interest is in January.”
- Former World Cup Star Battles Pancreatic Cancer
- World Cup 2018: France's happy end
- Spurs fans joke they are worried Mourinho will sign Man Utd flop Matic in first transfer swoop
- Man Utd ‘ready to back Solskjaer in £75m transfer pursuit of wonderkid Erling Braut Haaland’
- 8pm Man Utd news LIVE: Ronaldo shock transfer return, Dzeko interest, Pochettino favourite to replace Solskjaer
- Man Utd confirm injury news as Shaw, Matic and Tuanzebe near first team but Pogba is still injured
- Ravel Morrison was dubbed ‘best kid you’ll ever see’ at Man Utd by Fergie… now he is Sheffield United’s forgotten man
- Five players Mourinho could target for Tottenham in January transfer window including Koulibaly, Dybala and Fernandes
- McTominay and Maguire are Man Utd’s hardest workers this season as stats reveal highest running numbers
- 3.30pm Man Utd news LIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo transfer return, Mourinho joins Tottenham, Pochettino a United target