Visit The Boston Globe Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Comment on this Scroll to top of page By Felice J. Freyer Globe Staff November 15, 2018 Boston Children’s Hospital has won a $14.7 million grant from the National Football League to study how hits to the head affect neurological health over time — and to identify potential treatments for brain injuries.The money, from a pool of $40 million that the NFL committed to medical research, enables Children’s and four other institutions to study thousands of former NFL players and to investigate ways of mitigating the damage from head impacts. At the end of the five-year project, announced Thursday, the Children’s researchers will propose clinical trials to test the most promising of the treatments, which could potentially help those with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, the brain condition that has afflicted football stars such as the late Aaron Hernandez. Advertisement Unlike the highly publicized CTE research examining the brains of deceased athletes, this project will focus on the living — former NFL players who volunteer to answer questions and undergo tests. Get Metro Headlines in your inbox: The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England… Read full this story
- Ice Hockey Causes 44.3% Of All Traumatic Brain Injuries Among Canadian Kids
- What are the effects of traumatic brain injury in children?
- ED visits for traumatic brain injuries spike 30%
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Causes, Symptoms and Diagnosis
- Playground-Related Brain Injuries Are On The Rise: Study Says
- MMA Fighters Like Conor McGregor Could Be At Risk For Brain Injury
- New England Patriots Star Teases Possible NFL Return By Week 14
- New study supports link between ADHD and traumatic brain injury
- NFL Hall of Famer Frank Gifford Had Brain Disease Before Death
- Helmets Can Help Prevent Brain Injury in Children
NFL awards Children’s Hospital $14.7M to study brain injury have 290 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at November 15, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.