A manhunt has been launched for a masked attacker who threw a corrosive substance at a woman on her doorstep.
The victim was taken to hospital with serious burns after to her face and neck after the attack in south-east Edinburgh.
The 37-year-old woman is continuing to receive treatment.
Police Scotland said they believe it was a targeted attack, as they appealed for information to help it trace the person responsible.
The suspect is described as being in his early 20s, 5ft 11in tall with a slim build. His face was covered, and he was wearing a dark hooded tracksuit, dark gloves and dark trainers with light reflective sections.
Detective Inspector Stevie Rosie said: “We are still working to establish the motive surrounding this attack.”
He added: ”However, we believe this to be a targeted attack. Police are supporting the victim, who has sustained some very serious injuries to her face and neck.”
Mr Rosie also urged anyone who recognises the assailant or who has any other relevant information to “contact police immediately.“
No further details of the type of substance involved have been released.
- Barking Station ‘acid attack’ sees cops called after ‘corrosive substance’ thrown at passenger
- Hollyoaks spoiler: Sienna Blake ‘tied up and abducted’ by masked attacker in front of Joel Dexter in dramatic scenes
- Elderly women stabbed by masked attackers in Jerusalem
- Nigeria attacks highlight global problems faced by Christians
- Terrifying ‘sex attack’ caught on CCTV as woman leaps into busy road ‘as man feels up her skirt’
- Marine Le Pen attacked on stage by ‘topless’ woman with bunch of flowers – after violent street clashes between protesters and cops
- Teenager arrested after three-day manhunt for attacker who stabbed man to death on village street
- Bloodied schoolboy, 14, moments after he was repeatedly stabbed by masked attacker outside McDonald’s in Halloween assault
- London acid attacks: police arrest two teenagers
- Bolshoi dancer found guilty in acid attack