Manchester boxer Sam Hyde had to be pulled out of his fight on the undercard of Tony Bellew’s fight after he suffered an horrific looking ‘freak’ eye injury.
Hyde, from Sale in Trafford, was taking on Richard Riakpohre in the first of the bouts ahead of Bellew’s huge cruiserweight clash with Oleksandr Usyk at the Manchester Arena.
Hyde, 25, enjoyed some success in the early rounds and was ahead on the cards when he was hit with a big shot which caused the injury in the eight round.
Hyde remained on his feet after sustaining the massive blow, but the swelling quickly closed up his eye.
Joe Gallagher asked for the fight to be stopped and after assessing the injury, described by pundits as one of the worst they’d ever seen, referee Steve Gray called a halt to proceedings
It’s understood he’ll now be taken to hospital for assessment.
“I was down on the scorecards so I had to pull it out of the bag,” Riakporhe said afterwards.
“I hit him with a hook, his face swelled up so I targeting it. I thought they should throw in the towel.
“A lot of people wouldn’t have taken this risk in their eighth fight.”
Riakporhe’s manager Dillian Whyte said: “Richard is inexperienced.
“He would have worried about doing 10 rounds. But he pulled it out of the bag.”
We are bringing you live coverage of the Bellew vs Usyk card from the Manchester Arena which you can view here.
- Serious Sam 3: BFE’s eye-popping trailer
- Manchester canal basin rapist ignored his victim's pleas to stop attack
- Joe Biden Was Still on His Hyde Amendment Backtracking Tour at the Planned Parenthood 'We Decide' Forum
- The Madden Curse Strikes Again, as Rob Gronkowski Sidelined With Injury
- Sam Speaks to Inkle about Heaven's Vault and the Sorcery that Went Into It
- Tony Hawk 2 Soundtrack Lineup
- Sam Speaks to Sean Noonan About Getting Into the Games Industry, Wheelman, Crackdown 2, and More
- NoScope Golem Gaming Glasses Review — Your eyes will thank you.
- Playing Tony Hawk without a save pack taught me existentialism
- Tony Blair wades into Resistance row