Feature Highlights Include Immersive Installation By Guest Artist Gary Baseman And Special All-Female Art Exhibition “31 Women” Curated by Soho House’s Kate Bryan
SANTA MONICA, Calif., Oct. 22, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Saatchi Art’s The Other Art Fair (“The Fair”), a leading international art fair championing emerging and independent contemporary artists, announces its features and programming for its Los Angeles Fall 2018 edition. The Other Art Fair returns to Los Angeles on October 25–28 at the Santa Monica Barker Hangar, where 130 artists from around the world will showcase their works alongside exclusive new artwork by Guest Artist Gary Baseman and a special all-women exhibition entitled 31 Women.
As Guest Artist, Gary Baseman will create an immersive experience called The Purr Room and offer two new limited edition prints for purchase—The Power of Purr and The Sanctum of Purr—available exclusively at The Other Art Fair Los Angeles. Baseman’s work has been seen and exhibited around the world and includes the BAFTA and three-time Emmy Award-winning ABC/Disney cartoon series Teacher’s Pet. Baseman also created the visual identity of the best-selling board game Cranium and has an animated documentary feature currently in the works entitled Mythical Creatures.
31 Women marks the 31st edition of The Other Art Fair and the 75th anniversary of The Exhibition by 31 Women, an iconic exhibition that took place at Peggy Guggenheim’s The Art of This Century gallery. Curated by Kate Bryan, arts broadcaster and global Head of Collections for Soho House and Co, 31 Women takes the form of an exhibition highlighting 31 women artists within The Other Art Fair Los Angeles. This mini salon draws together sculpture, collage, neon, photography, figurative and abstract painting in the same inclusive spirit of Guggenheim’s original show.
“The features for this edition are incredibly special, and we are particularly proud to be showing ‘31 Women’,” said Ryan Stanier, founder of The Other Art Fair. “Women artists have been underrepresented in the art world for decades, so we are excited to be able to highlight a selection of talented, emerging women artists in this exhibition curated by Kate Bryan.”
“The Other Art Fair is non-elitist, fun, democratic and fosters a genuine connection between the public and the artists exhibiting,” said Kate Bryan. “It’s always been diverse and has shown an equality between genders. It therefore represents a safe place to push forward the urgent conversation about gender disparity—we mustn’t be complacent. Women artists struggle to get their work seen and they deserve our support and recognition. Peggy Guggenheim, my hero, knew this problem all too well. We have to keep pushing forward for real and lasting change. Within the context of a busy and popular art event, I want to make some noise and bring these women together to not only revisit The Exhibition by 31 Women of 1943 but explore art being made today by these bright, brilliant artists.”
The Other Art Fair Los Angeles will open on Thursday, October 25 with a Private View sponsored by MINI USA. Proceeds from the Private View ticket sales will support ProjectArt, its official non-profit partner, an organization that transforms the nation’s public libraries into vital cultural hubs by offering year-round visual art classes for underserved youth and providing studio spaces for emerging visual artists.
The Saatchi Art Talks Program, led by Saatchi Art’s Chief Curator and Selection Committee member Rebecca Wilson, is an engaging speaker series where artists, collectors and cultural influencers will gather to discuss a range of topics relating to the emerging art scene. Listed below is the Saatchi Art Talks Program schedule:
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26
4pm–4:35pm: New Technologies in Arts Practice (VR/AR)
- Australian Multidisciplinary artist Michelle Brown will be discussing how she uses virtual and augmented reality in her arts practice and the future of art and new technologies.
7pm–7:35pm: 31 Women: Then & Now
- Kate Bryan (Arts Broadcaster & Head of Collections, Soho House & Co)
- Rebecca Wilson (Chief Curator & VP Art Advisory, Saatchi Art)
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27
12pm–12:35pm: Investing in Art Under $1,000
- Rebecca Wilson (Chief Curator & VP Art Advisory, Saatchi Art)
2pm–2:45pm: Gary Baseman in Conversation
- Gary Baseman (Guest Artist)
- Ryan Stanier (Founder, The Other Art Fair)
5:30pm–6:00pm: That Far Corner: Frank Lloyd Wright in Los Angeles
- Christopher Hawthorne (Chief Design Officer, the City of Los Angeles)
- Juan Devis (Chief Creative Officer, KCET & Artbound Executive Producer)
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 2812pm–12:35pm: AMBOS Project: Art Made Between Opposite Sides
- Tanya Aguiñiga (Artist and Founder, AMBOS Project)
- Jacqueline Amézquita (Artist)
1pm–1:35pm: Women Founders in the Creative Space
- Jaime Derringer (Artist and Founder, Design Milk)
- Danielle Krysa (Artist, Author and Founder, The Jealous Curator)
- Andrea Stanford (SVP General Manager, Society6)
Below are some of the highlighted features for The Other Art Fair Los Angeles:
GUEST ARTIST GARY BASEMAN: THE PURR ROOM
31 WOMEN The Exhibition by 31 Women and celebrating The Other Art Fair’s 31st global edition.
MINI: CREATED IN A COUNTRYMAN PROJECT
PROJECTARTThe non-profit ProjectArt transforms the nation’s public libraries into vital cultural hubs by offering year-round visual art classes for underserved youth and providing studio spaces for emerging visual artists. Attendees can purchase limited edition prints from their popular series My Kid Could Do That to support the cause.
NEON VIRTUAL REALITY IMMERSIVE MAZE
MONCHO 1929 ENTRANCE MURAL
HAND POKED TATTOOS
DUBLAB PRESENTS THE OTHERS LIVE
THE SCREENING ROOMArtbound will screen uninterrupted throughout the day.
THE LITTLE ART PAGES
LIVE PRINTING DEMONSTRATION WITH HEAVY GEL
DON JULIO BAR
FOOD TRUCK FARE
About The Other Art Fairwww.theotherartfair.com
About Saatchi Artwww.saatchiart.com. Saatchi Online, Inc., which operates Saatchi Art, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leaf Group Ltd. (NYSE:LEAF).
- An Art Fair Has Never Worked in Los Angeles. Why Did Frieze?
- Los Angeles Boasts A Hot Lineup Of Performing And Visual Arts Events This Week
- Meet six artists making the public art you’ll soon see on Metro’s Crenshaw/LAX Line
- Jeffrey Deitch Curates Jeffrey Deitch: The Return of the Art World’s Most Essential Zelig
- Grayson Perry: ‘I am nostalgic for a time when art galleries were empty’
- Newsletter: Essential Arts: What’s behind the abrupt shutdown of the Marciano Art Foundation?
- Whitney Biennial Artists Share Mood Boards for Their Works
- ‘Let us in!’ Marciano Art Foundation staffers show up for work at locked museum to protest layoffs
- How the art of black power shook off the white gaze
- Getty Museum Was Built to Withstand Fires so Officials Aren't Worried About Art Damage: 'Embers Aren't Going to Get in'
- Hirshhorn Museum Celebrates Intergenerational Artist Crushes
- The visual art of John Cage
- H2I Group Announces Expansion into California With Dow Diversified Acquisition
- The Best Classical Music Performances to See This Fall
- The Secret World of Pickup Artist Julien Blanc
- 3 Must-See LA Area Technology Fairs/Conferences in 2019
- Art City Austin Festival Early Bird Tickets Go On Sale
- The New Whitney Biennial Made Me See Art History in a New Way
- ‘The scene has exploded’: China gets set to be leading global centre for art
- 6 Artists on Why They Start Bands, From IUD to Psychic TV
Saatchi Art's The Other Art Fair Los Angeles Announces Its Fall 2018 Artist Lineup and Programming have 1206 words, post on world.einnews.com at October 22, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.