Viral Tonga Olympic flag bearer Pita Taufatofua was very much a part of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s two-day visit to the Polynesian kingdom this week.
So much so that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex wore the traditional Tongan garb that Taufatofua made famous at the Rio Olympic Opening Ceremony.
“Harry and Meghan making my Olympic outfit look good!” was posted on Taufatofua’s social media.
Taufatofua was in the background of images of the royal couple inspecting the dress. Taufatofua said on social media that he met them.
The 34-year-old has said he plans a Tokyo 2020 Olympic run in a new sport aligned with water, but he has not revealed what the sport is. He also guaranteed that he will earn a medal in Tokyo should he qualify.
Taufatofua became a viral hit for his shirtless, oiled-up debut at the Rio Opening Ceremony, then lost in the first round via mercy rule in the taekwondo tournament.
He made a quixotic bid to qualify for the PyeongChang Winter Games in cross-country skiing — and accomplished the feat, barely, in a sport that has lenient requirements for nations with a lack of winter sports depth.
Taufatofua finished 114th out of 116 in his 15km Olympic cross-country skiing race, nearly 23 minutes behind the winner.
If Taufatofua is able to carry the Tongan flag at a third Opening Ceremony, he will definitely be shirtless again, in a similar outfit to what he wore in Rio and PyeongChang.
“When I went to Rio, I was told by some of our own people [dignitaries], don’t wear this, don’t wear that,” Taufatofua said. “We want you to wear a suit and a tie. I said no. I said, you were taught to wear that suit and that tie 50 years ago. I said, my ancestors go back 1,000 years. I want to wear what they wore because I’m representing them when I carry that flag. They said no, so we carried it in our bags and hid it under our uniforms when we walked in the backstages of Rio and pulled it out when they had no chance to kick us off the team. Then, afterwards, they [other people] said, whose idea was it? They [the Tongan officials] said it was ours. It was all of ours.”
The PyeongChang uniform was headed for the Olympic Museum in Lausanne. The Rio one was placed on his wall at home.
OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle set to return to London for Brooklyn Beckham's wedding?
- 'Like a carnivore advocating vegetarianism': Former transport minister accuses Prince Harry of being the 'wrong person' to preach to travel industry about going green due to his and Meghan's use of private jets
- Meghan Markle questioned over personalised necklace - details
- Meghan Markle, Prince Harry playing dangerous game by suing tabloids
- SARAH VINE: What Princess Beatrice’s modest wedding day could teach Meghan Markle
- Throwback snap of Meghan Markle with unlikely celebrity pal shared on Twitter
- Meghan Markle's close friends open up to CBS News' Gayle King in "Meghan and Harry Plus One"
- How Prince Harry was FIRST to say 'I love you': Royal and Meghan Markle knew after first two dates that they 'would be together', bombshell biography reveals
- Meghan Markle 'embarrassed' Prince Harry by announcing her pregnancy on Princess Eugenie's wedding day in a 'huge social gaffe' that left the bride and her mother Sarah Ferguson 'furious', new book claims
- Meghan Markle found Prince Harry’s text chat ‘adorable’ when they dated – especially his obsession with the ghost emoji
- Body language expert reveals photos that prove Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton have gone from close pals to ‘awkward’ acquaintances
- Meghan Markle was left 'frustrated and emotional' and said 'I can't win' after palace aide scolded her for wearing necklace with initials 'H' and 'M' before she and Harry were engaged, bombshell book claims
- Kate Middleton 'attempted to rectify relationship' with Meghan Markle by sending flowers as a 'peace offering' but the Duchess of Sussex told her 'in no uncertain terms' it 'wasn't enough', Vanity Fair reports
- Meghan Markle was ‘emotional’ after getting in trouble for wearing necklace with Prince Harry’s initial: book
- Meghan Markle 'set up 2015 paparazzi shots through her PR team when she was an unknown Suits actress trying to raise her profile in the UK'
- Prince Harry ‘felt like a spare wheel’ with Prince William, Kate Middleton and ‘wanted out,' royal expert says
- Meghan Markle teased the world with hint she was engaged to Prince Harry 2 months before they claimed proposal happened
- Prince Harry 'is less intelligent' than Meghan Markle and 'goes along with whatever she says' because he's 'desperate to please her', claims Lady Colin Campbell
- Kate Middleton and Prince William hit back at claims Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were shunned by Royal Family
- Finding Freedom is Amazon UK's No. 1 bestseller: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's biography is ALREADY topping the charts two weeks before its release
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle wear Tonga flag bearer’s Olympic outfit have 823 words, post on olympics.nbcsports.com at October 26, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.