By The Washington Post | PUBLISHED: October 24, 2018 at 5:40 am | UPDATED: October 24, 2018 at 6:04 am By April Witt | The Washington Post Whoever won the $1.5 billion Mega Millions jackpot will have some decisions to make. What should they do with the money? Who will they tell? Jack Whittaker faced similar decisions in 2002 when he won Powerball’s $314 million jackpot ($113 million after taxes). At the time, it was the largest jackpot ever won by a single ticket. But the lottery changed Whittaker’s life and within a few years, the West Virginia construction contractor faced personal loss and tragedy. This article originally appeared in The Washington Post Magazine on Jan. 30, 2005. __________ It was coming up on Christmas, and Brenda-the-biscuit-lady was inexplicably happy as she walked to work in the predawn darkness. Brenda didn’t just make biscuits over at the C&L Super Serve for $6 an hour. She served up good cheer. “How you doin’, honey?” she’d greet customers, with such enthusiasm that they had no choice but to smile back. “Dad-gonnit, you are growing up on me!” she’d call to schoolchildren, just to see them grin. “What grade you in now?” At… Read full this story
- Powerball Results Today, Numbers Live Update for 10/13/18: $314 Million Jackpot on the Line
- Powerball, Mega Millions jackpots top $450 million combined; Ohio Lottery results
- Powerball, Mega Million jackpots swell to combined $2.2 billion
- Powerball, Mega Millions jackpots reach nearly $1 billion combined
- You’ve won the Mega Millions jackpot! Time to hide.
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs to estimated $654 million
- $1.6 billion Mega Millions jackpot up for grabs Tuesday night
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs to $1.6 billion. It's now the largest US lottery jackpot ever.
- Powerball Results, Numbers (10/10/18): Lottery Jackpot Increases to $314 Million (10/13/18)
He won Powerball’s $314 million jackpot. It ruined his life. have 275 words, post on www.mercurynews.com at October 24, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.