“She thought that this whole party was going on without her while she’s off at school,” Savannah Guthrie tells PEOPLE of daughter Vale, 4
Savannah Guthrie 's daughter is taking after her mom in one big way: She wants to be in the front row for all the action!
The Today co-anchor chatted with PEOPLE for this week's issue about her life at home with husband Michael Feldman and their two kids: son Charles "Charley" Max , 21 months, and daughter Vale, 4, revealing that Vale wasn't a big fan of preschool at first.
"She's been a little bit reluctant to go back to school," recalls Guthrie, 46. "Instead of saying, 'Don't worry, it's going to be great' I tried to ask her, 'Well, why do you not want to go to school ?' "
"She said, 'I want to stay home with you and Charley and Daddy,' " the Princesses Save the World author adds.
Want all the latest pregnancy and birth announcements, plus celebrity mom blogs? Click here to get those and more in the PEOPLE Parents newsletter .
Savannah Guthrie 's son Charley and daughter Vale
Savannah Guthrie and family
A little reasoning did the trick, though, according to the television journalist.
"I was like, 'Well, Daddy will be at work and Mommy will be at work and Charley's going to go to preschool too ,' " Guthrie explains.
"She had total FOMO. She thought that this whole party was going on without her while she's off at school. I'm like, 'Nobody will be here. You're not missing anything.' Then she felt better about it."
Savannah Guthrie and family
RELATED VIDEO: Hoda Kotb and Savannah Guthrie Open Up About Balancing Family with Today
Guthrie shares that her daughter "recently has gotten to be very protective of" her baby brother , even if it may have taken her a little time to move past feeling like "he was moving in on her territory."
"If there's something small — a little Lego piece on the floor — she'll be like, 'Mommy, this piece is too small. Charley could choke on it, ' " she says. "I feel like she's turning into the big sister I always knew she could be."
For more on Savannah Guthrie, pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE , on newsstands Friday.
- Padma Lakshmi reveals she 'took to her bed for three days' after penning op-ed about how she was raped as she slept when she was a 16-year-old virgin and says such traumatic assaults 'deserve more than a hashtag'
- The truth about THOSE texts: Married At First Sight's Jessika Power comes clean on her secret messages with Sam Burgess... and reveals what she really thinks of Phoebe
- Matt Lauer angrily denies anal rape allegation made by NBC producer in an indignant 1,400 word open letter, which claims they had 'consensual sex' at Sochi Winter Olympics which led to an affair
- Angela Carter: a portrait in postcards
- Mother of six left wheelchair bound by multiple sclerosis fundraises $84,000 for controversial stem cell treatment in Russia... and now says she can walk
- Ben Foden confirms he has married his girlfriend of TWO WEEKS and says 'beautiful ex-wife' Una Healy gave her 'blessing' just one year after cheating scandal caused their divorce
- Atonement by Ian McEwan
- What makes The Great Gatsby great?
- Why I have pity for Roberta Osuna
Savannah Guthrie Reveals the Adorable Reason Daughter Vale Didn't Want to Start Preschool have 688 words, post on people.com at September 20, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.