The Trump administration is holding a record number of migrant children in federal detention centers — a more than fivefold increase from last year.The number of migrant children in federal custody has soared from 2,400 in May 2017 to 12,800 this month, according to data provided to Congress and reported by the New York Times yesterday.At the same time, the Department of Health and Human Services has diverted $169 million from other programs to fund immigrant detention, NBC News reported Wednesday.The news comes even though courts have ruled that separated migrant children must be reunited with their families, striking down the Trump administration’s “zero-tolerance” policy of separating migrant parents and children at the Southern border and holding them in separate detention facilities. Since then, hundreds of children have been returned to their parents.The huge increase isn’t due to more children entering the country. Instead, fewer minors are being released to live with families and other sponsors, according to data collected by the Department of Health and Human Services. Most of the children are teenagers who crossed the border alone and are being held in more than 100 shelters across the country, most near the Southwestern border, the Times reports. The… Read full this story
- Inmate dies after being injured at Clark County Detention Center
- Mobile App Download Tally Will Soar Above 102B This Year
- US Record High Temperatures To Outpace Record Lows By 15 To 1 Ratio
- Mobile banking expected to soar in next few years
- Markets Finish 2013 With Record Highs
- California's Sierra Nevada Snowpack Falls To Lowest Level In 500 Years
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases Hit Record High In U.S.
- ED visits hit record high in 2011, CDC says
- Storage Software Sales Hit All-Time Record Highs
- Grammys Record Of The Year Award Goes To Sam Smith
Number of migrant children in detention centers soars to record high, up 500% in one year have 293 words, post on www.metro.us at September 13, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.