Plans to make it easier to remove Labour MPs, fast-track the return of expelled members, and accept supporters of hard-left groups are to be unveiled at the party’s conference, the Observer has learned. In a move that will intensify the latest bout of bitter infighting between supporters of Jeremy Corbyn and his critics, local Labour groups from across the country will attempt to overhaul party rules with measures that would hand more power to the membership. Labour’s leadership is now under pressure to kill off the proposals, which threaten to cause renewed anger among MPs and put them at greater risk of deselection. Frank Field, the veteran Birkenhead MP, resigned the party whip last week after complaining of a “culture of nastiness, bullying and intimidation”. He also criticised the party over its handling of the row over antisemitism that has raged all summer. Labour is braced for further resignations this week. On Sunday, the former Labour minister Dame Margaret Hodge launched a fresh attack on Corbyn, accusing the Labour leadership of harbouring a “hatred of Jews”. Hodge, who attends a Jewish Labour Movement conference in London on Sunday with ex-PM Gordon Brown, told the Sunday Times: “All (the leadership) can… Read full this story
- 'Let's move our country forward': Boris Johnson pleads with MPs to get behind his Brexit bill as Labour and Remainers bid to block his frantic 72-hour timetable in crunch Commons votes - killing off his 'do or die' vow to be out of the EU by Halloween
- What is the Labour antisemitism row?
- 'I will NOT be silenced': Furious Priti Patel hits back after 31 Labour MPs tell her she can't talk about her own experience of racism because it 'gaslights' Black Lives Matter protesters
- Ex-Labour shadow minister Eric Joyce - who quit the party after head-butting two Tory MPs in Commons bar bust-up - faces jail after admitting he had ‘spam’ child porn film involving baby
- ANDREW PIERCE: The final shame of violent ex-major who bragged: ‘You can’t touch me, I’m an MP’
- Priti Patel attacks Labour MPs over Black Lives Matter criticism accusing them of holding 'racist' views because the Tory minister does not conform to a 'stereotypical view of what an ethnic minority woman should stand for'
- Starmer faces backlash from leftwing MPs over Long-Bailey sacking
- Antisemitism inquiry 'must come before Labour officials hired'
- ANDREW PIERCE: Will PR pals give Labour's Liz Kendall a red face?
- Coronavirus reveals shocking rise in child poverty under Conservative rule, says Labour MP
Labour faces shake-up that will make it easier to deselect MPs have 413 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 2, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.