Walmart-backed Flipkart will kick-off its ‘The Big Billion Days‘ (TBBD) festive sale from October 10, lining up new launches across categories and dishing out discount offers to woo Indian shoppers during the season.
The fifth edition of TBBD will be organised between October 10-14 and customers will be able to avail offers across categories like mobile phones, TVs and appliances, fashion, personal care, furniture and others, Flipkart said in a statement.About 20 million people are expected to shop on various e-commerce platforms during the festive sale next month, translating into sales of around USD 3 billion for players like Amazon and Flipkart, according to a report by research firm RedSeer.
“This year marks the fifth edition of TBBD and we are focused on making it the biggest and best one yet. After working closely with our sellers and brands over the last few months, we plan to deliver unparalleled, diverse, and affordable offerings to customers in every corner of India,” Flipkart CEO Kalyan Krishnamurthy said.
While Flipkart’s rival Amazon is yet to announce the dates for its ‘Great Indian Festival’, the American company is likely to hold the festive sale around the same time.
Amazon India has already unveiled its campaign ‘Ab India ki Khushiyon ke beech budget nahin ayeega’ ahead of the sale.
Smaller player ShopClues, too, has announced its sale from October 10-November 7 to offer up to 80 per cent discount across fashion and lifestyle, home and kitchen and electronics and accessories categories.
According to the RedSeer report, the share of items like electronics and furniture during the sale could be higher this year due to affordability initiatives being undertaken by the e-commerce players. Mobile phones currently account for a lion’s share of sales on the two leading e-commerce platforms.The festive sale not only brings in discounts and deals for customers but is also an annual showdown of sorts between the two largest players — Flipkart and Amazon India.
Like in offline retail, e-commerce companies see a significant jump in sales during Dussehra and Diwali. The September-November period typically generates a majority of the annual sales of these companies, which prepare months in advance for the sale event.
The competition between Flipkart and US-based Amazon this year is expected to be even fiercer as both companies have invested significantly through the year to ramp up product offerings as well as logistics infrastructure to ensure speedier delivery.
While Flipkart now has the backing of US retail giant Walmart (via a USD 16 billion deal signed earlier this year), Amazon India too has received funding through the year from the US parent across operations like marketplace and payments business.
In its statement, Flipkart said it has partnered with celebrities like Amitabh Bachchan, Deepika Padukone, Virat Kohli and others as well as creating technological innovations to create engaging personalised content for social media.
- Virus could weigh on toy shopping starting this summer
- Tesco unveil Mother’s Day 2020 gifting range and prices start from £5
- Best Mother's Day cards 2020
- Aldi launch £10 kids' fancy dress costumes in time for World Book Day 2020
- Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite 10 arrives with headphone offer
- How to get £10 worth of petrol for free over Christmas and New Year's Day
- Drake shares art by son Adonis while celebrating his first Father's Day since rap feud with Pusha T made his offspring public
- Sainsbury's launch huge Tu Clothing sale and prices start from just £1
- Death of boy, 10, who was killed by falling barrier at Topshop store was an accident, jury rules
- Best kids fancy dress costumes for World Book Day 2020
- Amrapali Jewels CEO loves entertaining friends in his den; wants to host Big B
- Baaghi 3 box office day 1: Tiger Shroff film is biggest opener of the year despite coronavirus scare, earns Rs 17.50 cr
- Serenata Flowers launches Mother’s Day range with £10 off
- Baaghi 3 box office day 1: Tiger Shroff film is biggest opener of the year despite coronavirus scare, earns Rs 17 cr
- NCLAT rejects plea against CCI nod for Flipkart's acquisition
- Online shopping sees spurt thanks to coronavirus fears
- Twitterati fume over Hand Sanitizers being sold at Rs 999 on Flipkart
- How Google and Flipkart plan to counter WhatsApp Pay
- Flipkart staff to work from home for 3 days
- Show Your Support for These Female-Led Brands on International Women's Day
Flipkart's 'The Big Billion Days' e-shopping starts from October 10 have 690 words, post on brandequity.economictimes.indiatimes.com at September 25, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.