Carrie Underwood is currently expecting her second child with her husband Mike Fisher, but on Sunday, she opened up about some of the heartbreak she’s experienced trying to have another baby.
In an interview with CBS Sunday Morning, the Oklahoma native revealed she’s suffered three miscarriages over the past two years.
“I’d kind of planned that 2017 was, you know, going to be the year that I work on new music and I have a baby,” she said. “We got pregnant early 2017, and it didn’t work out.”
“In the beginning,” she continued, “it was like, ‘Okay, God, we know this just wasn’t your timing. And that is all right. We will bounce back and figure our way through it.'”
But the struggle didn’t end there.
“We got pregnant again in the spring, and it didn’t work out,” Underwood went on. “Got pregnant again, early 2018. Didn’t work out. So, at that point, it was just kind of like, ‘OK, like, what’s the deal? What is all of this?’”
According to the Mayo Clinic, about 10 to 20 percent of known pregnancies end in miscarriage, though the number is likely higher, as many happen so early in the pregnancy that the woman does not yet realize that she’s pregnant. The cause of miscarriage in most cases is the embryo failing to develop normally.
Last month, Underwood, who has a three-year-old son, sparked an online debate about fertility when she told Redbook magazine that because of her age — 35 — she and her husband “may have missed our chance to have a big family.” Days later, she revealed she was pregnant with baby number two.
In her interview with CBS, the singer explained that throughout all three failed pregnancies, she was “always afraid to be angry.”
“We are so blessed. And my son, Isaiah, is the sweetest thing. And he’s the best thing in the world. And I’m like, ‘If we can never have any other kids, that’s okay, because he’s amazing.’ And I have this amazing life,” she said. “Really, what can I complain about? I can’t. I have an incredible husband, incredible friends, an incredible job, an incredible kid. Can I be mad? No.”
However, after experiencing what she thought was yet another miscarriage, she got “mad,” and began to reckon with God.
“I was like, ‘Why on Earth do I keep getting pregnant if I can’t have a kid? Like, what is this? Shut the door. Like, do something. Either shut the door or let me have a kid,'” she said. “For the first time, I feel like I actually I told God how I felt. And I feel, like, we’re supposed to do that. That was like a Saturday. And the Monday I went to the doctor to, like, confirm another miscarriage. And they told me everything was great!”
Underwood’s new album, “Cry Pretty,” was released on Friday.
- MP who suffered miscarriage plans new law for women to get bereavement leave
- Meghan Markle opens up about suffering miscarriage in July
- Rockefeller Christmas tree lighting 2021 LIVE – How to watch event with The Rockettes, Carrie Underwood and more TONIGHT
- Whitney Port bundles up as she runs errands after karate class... following devastating miscarriage
- Cancer consultations should be carried out on Zoom... to help the ENVIRONMENT, top medic claims
- Overturning Roe v Wade could lead to more women being jailed for miscarriages
- Carrie Symonds due date: When Boris and wife are expecting second child
- Jon Batiste leads the Grammy nominations with a staggering total of ELEVEN nods including Album and Record of the Year
- Adele to return to live shows in Las Vegas next year
- 'Evil' stepmother guilty of murdering six-year-old who was left starved and 'broken'
- The rescue of Parwana: 9-year-old child bride is taken to safety in Afghanistan
- 'Sense of failure' Karren Brady speaks candidly about own miscarriage amid Jessie J's news
- Hollyoaks star Jorgie Porter couldn’t find anyone to talk to after quadruplets miscarriage
- Hollyoaks' Jorgie Porter couldn't find anyone to speak to after quadruplets miscarriage
- Malin Andersson reveals she’s tragically suffered a miscarriage just two years after the death of her daughter
- Whitney Port poses in a bikini as she says 'women should always be proud of their bodies'... after devastating miscarriage
- My father-in-law announced my miscarriage on Facebook, I don’t think I can forgive him – I’ve already cancelled Xmas
- Pregnant Dancing On Ice's Brianne Delcourt bled for a week after suffering a haemorrhage
- Inside I’m A Celeb star Richard Madeley’s younger years from tragic child abuse to infidelity
- I was betrayed by my boss who sacked me after ectopic pregnancy but I won £17k following two year unfair dismissal fight
Carrie Underwood suffered 3 miscarriages in 2 years have 797 words, post on abcnews.go.com at September 17, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.