THE BIG QUESTION: JOHN MCCAIN will be remembered this week in ceremonies in Phoenix and Washington. He’ll lie in state in the capitols in Arizona and Washington. Can PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP manage to avoid controversy for the entire week? WAPO’S JOSH DAWSEY: “Trump rejected plans for a White House statement praising McCain”: “President Trump nixed issuing a statement that praised the heroism and life of Sen. John McCain, telling senior aides he preferred to issue a tweet before posting one Saturday night that did not include any kind words for the late Arizona Republican. “Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Chief of Staff John F. Kelly and other White House aides advocated for an official statement that gave the decorated Vietnam War POW plaudits for his military and Senate service and called him a ‘hero,’ according to current and former White House aides, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations. …“The break with precedent of previous presidents — who have typically released effusive official statements for noteworthy Americans upon their death — underscored the bitter relationship between the two men, Trump’s continued anger toward McCain, and the substantive and stylistic differences between them, people close to… Read full this story
- We'll meet again! Katherine Jenkins performs Vera Lynn songs to an empty Royal Albert Hall as preparations are finalised for 75th anniversary of VE Day tomorrow with millions set to mark the day in their own homes
- My Appetites
- What Happened to America’s Mayor?
- Joanna Gaines shares photos from her childhood as she pays tribute to her mother 'for challenging me to value the fullness of who I am'
- The Latest: Supercross to resume May 31 in Salt Lake City
- Paulina Porizkova, 55, posts a photo of herself lounging on a beach in a teeny gold bikini - as she jokes that she was 'pretending to be in Sports Illustrated' during pre-pandemic island vacation
- Donald Trump Again Plays Birther Card; Then Has Spokesman Take It Back
- How Would You Like $2 Million to Steal Elvis' Coffin?
- The Latest: Aussie rules football to kick off on June 11
- Jim Carrey: Bare Facts and Shocking Revelations
POLITICO Playbook: The plans for McCain’s memorial and burial … Sneak peek at Mark Leibovich’s new book have 350 words, post on www.politico.com at August 27, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.