Sheila Vilvens Cincinnati Enquirer
Published 10:06 AM EDT Oct 1, 2018
Legendary local teachers come together for one night at a private gathering to talk about their epic adventures at the Mercantile Library.
Bryce Carlson, a teacher at The Seven Hills Upper School, and Harvey Lewis, a teacher at Cincinnati’s School for Creative and Performing Arts, will talk about how they spent their summer pushing the boundaries of physical and mental endurance.
Carlson spent 38 days alone on the Atlantic Ocean, rowing unassisted from Canada to England. He endured storms and technical challenges to become the first American to complete the west-to-east crossing. He also broke the world record.
Lewis spent 49 days on the Appalachian Trail, running nearly 43 miles each day. Despite some physical setbacks, he posted the eighth fastest known time on the 2,219 trail.
More: Cincinnati teacher completed (almost) 50-day run through the Appalachian Trail
Both men are featured speakers 6:30 p.m. Tuesday,, at the Mercantile Library, 414 Walnut St. The free event offers an opportunity to hear firsthand about the epic adventures of Carlson and Lewis. Registration is required. Visit the Mercantile Library website to register.
The event is sponsored by Abre and CincyTech. Guests will also learn how edtech startup Abre is turning the teachers’ adventures into lessons for students everywhere.
More: Cincy Storytellers Project shares stories of champions and underdogs
- To shoot photos this epic, sometimes you’ve gotta break some ankles
- Node.js vs. Java: An epic battle for developer mind share
- Teach Locally, Educate Globally
- LINUX PICKS AND PANS Voyager Offers a Mostly Smooth-Sailing Linux Adventure
- 5 great reasons to buy your first drone this summer
- Bowie in space, atrocious local commercials and more in this week’s Staff Picks
- Can tech really transform the third world? A One Laptop Per Child report card
- If You're Doing These 7 Things, You Desperately Deserve a Pay Raise
- Best new Android, iPhone and iPad games in July (part 1)
- PC Gaming Weekly: the live services blues
- The 50 Best New Board Games
- 10 Best Android 3.0+ Apps For Tablets From The Last 3 Weeks (3/24/12
- iOS 4 review
- 100 Best Android Apps of 2017
- Digital Blend: Beck releasing three new songs in PS Vita game Sound Shapes, Valve commits to Steam for Linux
- Una Laptop por Niño
- The Unacceptable Persistence of the Digital Divide
- Foreign-born scientists find a home in China
- An Alternate Reality Game That Takes Freshman Orientation to a New Level
- Google wants to take students around the world and beyond with Expeditions
Mercantile Library: 2 local teachers share their epic summer adventures have 392 words, post on eu.cincinnati.com at August 5, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.