Former Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson began his campaign Tuesday to unseat New Mexico’s junior Democratic senator, seeking political opportunity in the space between Democrats and voters loyal to President Donald Trump. Johnson, a former two-term governor of New Mexico, was added to the state’s list of Senate candidates as final paperwork was being filed with election officials. His campaign manager said a formal announcement would come soon. Johnson did not immediately return CBS News’ request for comment. Johnson remains popular in New Mexico and his entry into the U.S. Senate race that Democrats have been favored to win could complicate the party’s national effort to hold seats or make gains in the chamber. Johnson’s 2016 presidential bid as a Libertarian sputtered after a live-television gaff on foreign policy. Democrats saw the presidential run, with currents of social liberalism, as a bane to their party, even as Johnson criticized Trump for his treatment of women and border-wall proposal. Elected and re-elected governor of New Mexico as a Republican, Johnson stayed true to a small-government philosophy while vetoing more than 700 bills. His open advocacy for legalized marijuana broke mainstream 1990s political taboos and made him a national curiosity. Incumbent Martin Heinrich won… Read full this story
- Deadline for Kansas Senate race passes without Pompeo filing
- Republican anxiety grows as Democratic Senate challengers outraise incumbents
- Collins trails Democrat Sara Gideon by 4 in Maine Senate race: poll
- Senate outlook slides for GOP
- GOP's Obama-era probes fuel Senate angst
- Democrats lead in three battleground Senate races: poll
- Democrats optimistic about chances of winning Senate
- Kentucky Democrats pick ex-fighter pilot McGrath to challenge U.S. Senate leader McConnell
- McConnell: Battle for control of the Senate will be a 'dogfight'
- Gary Peters Collects Over $65,000 in Donations from Employees, Lobbyists, Paid by Chinese Communist Government
Former Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson running for U.S. Senate have 293 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at August 14, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.