GRAN Sharon Adams has 40 years’ experience of feeding children and grandkids for less when they get home from school ravenous.
So with the new term about to start, who better to chat to for the latest in our Meet The Savers series but retired shipping clerk Sharon, 58, from Midsomer Norton, Somerset.
Here, savvy Sharon, who also has £100 from her Sun Savers wallet stashed away for Christmas, shares some of her tea-time tips…
- SHOP AROUND: It doesn’t pay to be loyal with your food shopping. Sharon and her husband Geoff visit many supermarkets and convenience stores in search of the best yellow-sticker bargains for the lunchtime savings. She says: “Once I found whole chickens for £1 in One Stop. Normally they’re £4.”
- HOME-MADE RECIPES: Sharon keeps costs down by avoiding ready meals and sauces, instead cooking from scratch. She says: “I’ve never bought a lasagne sauce. I use a tin of tomatoes or passata, herbs and a stock cube. It goes a long way.” She makes “orange soup” for the children after school, with swede, onions, carrots and potatoes, served with sausages and crusty bread. She says: “I make a big batch and freeze it for a fast after-school dinner.”
- BULK IT OUT: Sharon says: “To make my lasagne go further, I add baked beans to the sauce. I love doing my own meatballs with mince, onion and breadcrumbs to bulk it out.”
- NO LEFT-OVERS: Sharon says: “After a roast chicken I make a curry with all the leftovers. With lamb I turn the leftovers into stew.” Another way to cut food waste is to freeze items to stop them going off, which she does with cheese. She says: “I break it in half in the packet and freeze it. Then when I want to use some I only have to take half out.”
- FAKE-AWAYS: Instead of paying for pricey takeaways, Sharon creates similar meals herself. She says: “We do our own pizzas with the kids. If one doesn’t like pineapple, you put it on just one half — with peppers on the other.”
BAG a saving with a Bonprix croc print bag for £39.99, instead of similar from Saint Laurent for £1,925.
Reader’s saving tip
JUNE PEACOCK, from Bradford, says: “Instead of expensive room freshener, put out a nice-smelling jar of washing powder. After a week, swap for fresh powder and use one that’s been out to do your washing.”
- Share your suggestions at sunsavers.co.uk/tips and get 28 codes, worth £5, if we print yours. Include your name and town.
Deal of the day
COUNT DOWN to Christmas with this advent calendar from The Body Shop. RRP £121, now £65.
Save a fiver
SPEND £20 on natural salts, bath soaks and washes from westlabsalts.co.uk and get £5 off with code SUNSAVE5.
Win £15,000 with Sun Savers Raffle
THERE’S still time join in with this month’s Sun Savers Raffle – where the paper you’re holding could be worth £15,000!
For each Sun Savers code you enter you will get a ticket into our £15,000 monthly raffle. Plus, collect ten raffle tickets in a calendar month and you’ll get a GOLDEN TICKET into our huge £80k raffle which takes place every three months.
Fancy getting involved? Just head to the Sun Savers app or website and opt-in to each month’s raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted. Then start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily inside the paper. Today’s code is on page 20.
Each time you enter a code you will earn yourself a monthly raffle ticket. With no limit on how many tickets you can collect per month, make sure you enter as many Sun Savers codes as possible to give yourself the best chance of winning. You’ve got to be in it to win it!
Win £27,000 for uni fees
DON’T miss Saturday’s paper for the launch of our latest Sun Savers competition – Win Your Uni Fees.
With A-Level results having come out on Thursday and thousands of people across the country securing their spots at university, we thought we’d help out by sending one lucky student to University for FREE.
Here at The Sun we know just how expensive University has become, that’s why we’re giving away £27,000 to one person to pay for their fees.
Already studying at university? Don’t worry, you can enter too.
This competition is open to anyone who is currently a student, starting university this September or simply knows a student who they think deserves this prize.
To be in with a chance of winning this incredible competition, all you need to do is enter TEN of the 18 Sun Savers codes which will be printed daily from Saturday, August 25, then hit “enter” on Sun Savers.
Make sure you pick up next Saturday’s copy of The Sun to find out more about this fantastic competition.
Last chance to book with Hols From £9.50
HERE’S another chance to grab one of our Hols From £9.50.
There are 195 parks across the UK and Europe to choose from, at an unbeatable price.
If you find your exact holiday cheaper within 28 days of booking, we will refund the difference plus £10.
Choose a midweek break and get a fourth night’s stay free. To join in, just collect SEVEN Sun Savers codes or differently numbered tokens/codewords, printed daily until September 1.
Collecting tokens/codewords? Enter them at thesun.co.uk/holidays or post them using the online booking form.
If you are collecting Sun Savers codes, opt in to Hols From £9.50 in the Offers section in the app or on sunsavers.co.uk.
You can even use the cash in your Sun Savers wallet.
- Price per person based on four sharing. Subject to availability. Code/token collect. T&Cs and date restrictions apply.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
Poundland is selling WHITE chocolate ‘Maltesers’
B&M is already selling advent calendars even though it’s only August
Dad-of-two buys £139 worth of food for £8 by shopping for yellow sticker goods
Wonga goes into administration as payday lender stops taking new loan requests
BACK TO SCHOOL
Could YOU claim £150 towards your kid’s school uniform from your council?
CUPPA LOAD OF THIS
Costa launches new ‘bonfire’ coffee and we’re not sure about it
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
- From ‘The Swish’ technique to routine disruption — beat your deadly sugar habit with tips from hypnotist Paul Mckenna
- Treat the kids to tasty pack lunches on the cheap with our top tips
- Kit out the kids for the new school year with our top money-saving tips
- Get in the holiday spirit for less with these cheap and easy cocktail ideas
- Keep the cost of your children’s extra-curricular activities down with our tips
- Kit out your kitchen on the cheap with these amazing buys
- Cut the cost of back-to-school buys with our cash-saving tips
- Beats Solo3 headphones review: Style leads the way
- Win a premium British cruise holiday for four worth £5,000 with Sun Savers
- These are the best cheap wireless mouse deals for September 2020
- We made £8k in half-an-hour after launching a cream made from red wine to beat acne caused by coronavirus facemasks
- Oliver Stone On His Coming-Of-Age Memoir ‘Chasing The Light,’ The Challenge In Making A President Trump Movie & Times He Nearly Got Killed Making His Early Films – Q&A
- Which way will the polls miss this time?
- Reward lockdown loyalty from your pet with budget-friendly treats
- Make the most of the Bank Holiday weekend as these huge sales launch
- The £20million Lotto jackpot must be won on Saturday night — but which lottery game is best for what you want?
- Best SMG in Warzone Season 5: a guide to SMGs in Call Of Duty: Warzone
- The Ultimate Guide to Watching the Election
- LG V30 review: LG’s finest hour
- Protests, partying and perfect hangover cures: an alternative student survival guide
Beat home time hunger pangs on the cheap with these top tips — plus win £15k in our raffle have 1540 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 30, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.