by Christopher Robbins in News on Jul 5, 2018 9:13 am A speed camera (Shutterstock) Summer school in New York begins on July 5th, but the 140 school zones with speed cameras will lose them on July 26th, unless the state legislature does something about it. The bill to renew and expand the cameras, which issue $50 tickets to drivers who speed in school zones during school hours and have reduced speeding by 63%, according to a DOT study, passed the Assembly, but could not get out of committee in the Senate before the legislature adjourned last month. There has been a 23 percent reduction in fatalities and serious injuries to pedestrians in the select school zones since the cameras were installed in 2014, according to the city. While most of the Senate supported the renewal of the cameras, Brooklyn State Senator Simcha Felder, a Democrat who caucuses with Republicans, demanded that speed cameras be tied to placing armed guards in schools. The symbolism of Republican Senators Amedore and Murphy jokingly taping Simcha Felder to his chair in the Senate Chamber at the Capitol in Albany the last day of the session is manyfold: pic.twitter.com/tEMVxlCP8R— Blake Morris (@BlakeMorris4NYS) June 22,… Read full this story
- California is pushing back school start times. The move could sweep the nation — or backfire.
- Heartbroken mum of brain-damaged girl, 5, claims ‘NHS wants to let my girl die’ as youngster lies in five-month coma
- 'Death Zone': What To Know About Passing School Buses In WA
- Stop Working So Much Over Summer Break
- The 11 mass deadly school shootings that happened since Columbine
- Black Student at High School Where Racist Video Went Viral Had Warned of Anti-Black Attacks for Months
- This teacher swims to school
- Mrs Crunch’s top meals and school uniform deals as the new term approaches
- Rylo 360 camera review
- EXCLUSIVE - Candid Camelot: Unique, forgotten footage of Jackie Kennedy Onassis and her sister Lee Radziwill's summer on Andy Warhol's Montauk estate is unearthed after death of avant-garde filmmaker who recorded them
Summer School Starts As Albany Lets Speed Cameras Die have 324 words, post on gothamist.com at July 5, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.