Jul 18, 10:24 AM EDT Newsletter Signup BusinessTechnologyWorldNationalMedia & CultureOpinionSportsLuxury World By Pritha Paul @ZiggyZina143 07/18/18 AT 9:32 AM Wednesday marks the 100th birthday anniversary of Nelson Mandela — the first black president of South Africa (1994-1999). His clan name — Madiba — became a global embodiment of peace.Mandela was born on July 18, 1918, in Mvezo, Transkei, South Africa, and was a member of the anti-apartheid movement in his 20s. He later joined the African National Congress (ANC) in 1942, which was outlawed in 1960.Mandela was eventually arrested and charged with sabotage and attempting to violently overthrow the government in 1964. When he got out of prison after 27 years, Africa rejoiced and 100,000 people gathered in the Grand Parade grounds outside Cape Town’s City Hall to hear him speak.Over the years Mandela emerged as an inspirational leader for his country, with his quotes being forever etched in history, for future generations to learn from them. Here are a few of them:“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to… Read full this story
- Jackie Robinson Facts on His 100th Birthday Anniversary
- Bill Cosby Has 'No Remorse,' is a 'Political Prisoner' and Compares Himself to MLK and Nelson Mandela in New Statement
- Currier Museum of Art celebrating its 100th anniversary
- World War II veteran celebrates his 100th birthday with friends, family and congressman
- Gov. Kemp Joins in Celebration of the 45th Anniversary of Japan’s Consulate General
- US Ambassador Grenell blasts Germany for celebrating Iranian Islamic Revolution anniversary
- Celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Portland Begins
- Iran's leader celebrates Islamic Revolution's anniversary with cries of 'Death to Trump, Bolton and Pompeo!'
- South Beach Boxing Celebrates Its 21 Year Anniversary
- MacSlams celebrates its ten-year anniversary
Nelson Mandela Quotes: 18 Sayings To Celebrate Madiba's 100th Birth Anniversary have 317 words, post on www.ibtimes.com at July 18, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.