It’s been dubbed the Tempest. And it’s certainly flying into uncertain weather. Britain has sunk $A3.6 billion into the initial design work for the new fighter jet. But, as Lockheed Martin’s F-35 “Lightning II” project has all-too-well proven, the gulf between cost estimates and reality can be enormous. Today it’s my pleasure to announce Britain’s next generation and world beating fighter jet Tempest at @FIAFarnborough as we launch our Combat Air Strategy – a £2bn investment in an industry that supports 18,000 direct jobs, 100,000 in supply chain & worth over £6bn to UK #FIA18 pic.twitter.com/WRtdt12xCk— Gavin Williamson MP (@GavinWilliamson) July 16, 2018 It’s because of the F-35’s blowouts — both in terms of schedule and budget — that Britain, Europe and Japan have begun to look elsewhere to meet their needs. With the advent of Brexit, Britain now finds itself excluded from a French-Geman led fighter project which was initiated in July last year. So it’s going it alone. Britain’s Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson speaks during the unveiling of a model of the Tempest, at the Farnborough Airshow, south west of London. Picture: AFPSource:AFP BACK TO THE FUTURE “We have been a world leader in the combat air sector… Read full this story
- Multi-billion pound Migration Dividend fund could heal Brexit-riven Britain
- The Billion-Dollar E-commerce Company You Know Nothing About
- Orban's billion-dollar spending yet to bring Hungary revival
- Indian Air Force Takes Delivery of Three Rafale Fighter Jets: Defence Ministry
- New movies coming to Sky Cinema and NOW TV in November 2019
- What History Tells Us About Building a Wall to Solve a Problem
- We have lift-off! Virgin Atlantic's converted plane 'Cosmic Girl' takes to the skies for the first time with 'LauncherOne' rocket attached
- Separated At Birth? China's J-20 Stealth Jet Looks Just Like MiG Prototype
- Can the IAF fight the next war effectively?
- Airspeeder: Motor racing series aims to be the Formula One of the skies
Britain is back in the fight for the skies with a multi-billion-dollar plan to build its own stealth fighter have 318 words, post on www.news.com.au at July 17, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.