WASHINGTON — Major League Baseball hosted its 2018 All-Star Game on Tuesday night at Nationals Park, located in Washington, D.C. Based on the style of play, you would’ve thought it was the Home Run Derby again.
The American League won by an 8-6 final. The two sides combined for 10 home runs and scored all but one of those 14 runs on a dinger.
Yes, you read that correctly: 10 combined home runs.
Those 10 homers shattered the old record for most in a Midsummer Classic. Previously, the 1951, 1954, and 1971 games had enjoyed a three-way tie with six apiece.
This year’s game looked like it would finish tied with those three for the record, but a dramatic shot in the bottom of the ninth sent us to extra innings, where the All-Stars combined to obliterate the old record.
Willson Contreras then bopped a solo shot of his own to pull the National League within one.
Trevor Story tied the game for the NL in the seventh:
But Jean Segura hit a three-run shot in the eighth that appeared to be the decisive blow.
Yet it wasn’t to be. Christian Yelich chipped into the AL’s lead with a solo homer in the eighth:
Then Scooter Gennett tied the game and broke the record with one out in the bottom of the ninth:
Coincidentally, Alex Bregman then hit the eighth home run, a solo shot to open the 10th inning. He was the AL’s only representative in Monday’s Derby. Another coincidence? His teammate George Springer hit a solo shot of his own to follow, as the Houston Astros went back-to-back:
From there, the AL strung together some hits and plated the game’s first run that wasn’t scored via home run on a Michael Brantley sacrifice fly. But that wasn’t the end of the home-run binge. Oh, no.
Joey Votto would deliver the game’s 10th to cut the lead back to two:
And that, friends, is where the scoring stopped and the game ended.
What a night.
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories – yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
The two All-Star teams combined for a record-breaking 10 home runs at Nationals Park on Tu…
The Mariners shortstop came through with a huge shot for the AL
The Baltimore infielder may be the biggest name moved before the trade deadline
- Madrid takes advantage of break to make run for league title
- Clemens, Valenzuela impressed at '86 All-Star Game
- July 18, 2014: Josh Donaldson’s 3-run HR in 9th gives A’s win over Orioles
- Ultrarunner Coree Woltering runs almost 1,200 miles in record time, fueled by fast food and heavy metal
- Donaldson's 3-run walk-off homer lifts A's over Orioles
- Microsoft needs to bring these games to the Xbox Series X
- WoW Game Director On Releasing Shadowlands During COVID-19 And Working From Home
- Indian women's hockey team registers 2nd biggest Asian Games win; defeats Kazakhstan 21-0
- July 11, 1961: After Stu Miller’s balk, NL wins All-Star Game at Candlestick
- Asian Games gold medallist rower Dattu Bhokanal credits teammates for helping him overcome fever
- The best PS Now games
- NBA star Rajon Rondo compares his Walt Disney resort room to a ‘Motel 6’ as other players complain about Fyre Festival-like food ahead of the upcoming season in Florida
- Michael Barrymore's attempts to revive his long-running 90s game show Strike It Lucky online 'fall flat as viewers plummet from 5k to just 150'
- PS5 games list – all 25 PlayStation 5 titles revealed including Resident Evil 8 and Hitman 3
- Best budget gaming laptop deals of the week - 16th July 2020
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla preview: The game you know but with Vikings
- Breaking down A’s hitting, pitching for 2020: Team can inflict some damage
- Big PS4 Sale On Multiplayer Games Live Now
- Major PS4 Sale On Multiplayer Games Live Now
- Game of Thrones stars to reunite to play Dungeons and Dragons for charity fundraiser
2018 All-Star Game: Gennett breaks All-Star home run record in ninth, then things get crazy have 852 words, post on www.cbssports.com at July 17, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.