Published 4:11 pm, Monday, June 25, 2018
- Apple released the public beta version of iOS 12 on Monday.
- Anyone with a recent iPhone or iPad can try out the new features, including a performance boost for old phones.
- However, it’s pre-release software and users should back their phones up first — betas often come with glitches and other oddities.
- iOS 12 officially comes out this fall.
Want to check out all of the new features that Apple has added to iOS, the operating system for iPhones and iPads?
Starting Monday, you can. Apple has released the public beta version of iOS 12.
All you have to do is sign up with Apple to download it onto your phone.
- Now Playing Cyclist on Route 28 in Northern Virginia sparks safety debate Fox5DC
- In firing top exec for racial slur, Netflix CEO opts for radical transparency Cheddar TV
- Glenn Beck Walks Off Live CNN Interview Veuer
- Glenn Beck Walks Off Live CNN Interview Buzz 60
- Supreme Court Sides With American Express on Merchant Fees Fortune
- FOX Business Beat: Monday, June 25 Fox5DC
- Why The Wealthiest Countries Aren’t Always the Happiest, And That Includes the U.S. Buzz 60
- Are You Spending Too Much Time on Facebook? Social Media Company Reportedly Developing App to Track Time Buzz 60
- Hong Kong: Driving growth in a leading global financial hub Euronews
- There Are 101 Trillion Narrative Possibilities in This Sci-Fi Thriller Vocativ
You can sign up to test the iOS 12 beta here. After enrolling your device in the program, you can download a simple configuration profile from Apple, and then your phone will update to the beta software just like a typical update.
Before you install the iOS 12 public beta, you should be aware that it’s pre-release software. There’s a chance it could mess up your phone. There will be bugs and other errors — part of the reason that Apple releases public beta software is so that people using their phones in real life can find and help squash bugs before the official release comes out.
Thusly, there’s always a chance, however slim, that you could lose your data or your phone might not work properly. If you’re going to install this beta, you should back up your iPhone first.
Or, if you’re nervous, you could wait until September, which is when the official release of iOS 12 is expected to come out.
There are a lot of reasons why you might want to install the public beta early. The new iOS has a lot of performance improvements, according to Apple, so it might make your old phone run faster.
- An improved notification tray with stacked alerts.
- A much smarter Siri that can integrate with third-party apps.
- A suite of features for controlling the amount of time you use your phone called Screen Time.
- Group FaceTime calls.
- A safety tweak that will provide location data to authorities when an iPhone calls 911.
- A new app called Measure.
- Improved Photos app.
- Redesigned Stocks and News apps.
- Memoji, or customized avatars that mimic your facial expressions.
According to Apple, these iPhones will be able to run iOS 12:
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
NOW WATCH: How Apple can fix HomePod and Siri
- 74% of Americans believe smartphone addiction is a problem that should be solved by consumers — not tech companies or the government
- Apple’s top manufacturer says China has ‘unreasonable’ laws and regulations and its workers should be allowed more overtime
- Apple’s AirPower wireless charger may not be released until September
- Apple iOS 12 releases today. Here's how to update your iPhone to latest operating system
- iOS 12 New Memoji Feature: How to Make and Use It
- How To Remove iOS 12 and Downgrade to iOS 11
- iOS 12: Apple Software Update Out Now, How to Download, Best New Features
- What’s new in iOS 12.1? 70 Emojis, Group Facetime, Dual SIM Updates [Release Notes]
- iOS 12 Release: Battery Life Problems, Alarms Not Working, Other Bugs
- iPhones, iPads, Macs and more: Everything Apple could announce
- Apple releases iOS 12 update for iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch
- A quick gawk at the latest Apple hardware, and the new iOS 12 features you should try first
- Five Security Settings In iOS 12 You Should Change Right Now
You can download the beta version of iOS 12 for iPhones and iPads now — here's how (AAPL) have 722 words, post on www.mysanantonio.com at June 24, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.