What Danny Blair was thinking when he hit go-ahead home run in Gamecocks NCAA win
Watch the surprising home run that put Gamecocks ahead for good in NCAA tournament win
By Ben Breiner
June 01, 2018 05:15 PM
Danny Blair was hitting a tidy .186 on the season.
The South Carolina outfielder had only one home run on the season. He was facing Ohio State closer Seth Kinker, who throws gas and had a 1.49 ERA.
And yet, with two on in the bottom of the seventh of the team’s NCAA Tournament opener, Blair got just enough of the ball. He got a little under it, but it carried and carried and got over the rightfield wall at Clark-LeClair Stadium. With that, USC’s deficit, 2-0 at that point, and a day of frustrating offensive missed chances were washed away.
Help us deliver journalism that makes a difference in our community.
Our journalism takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work to produce. If you read and enjoy our journalism, please consider subscribing today.
— NCAA Baseball (@NCAACWS) June 1, 2018
The shot opened things up a little, and the Gamecocks left the seventh with a 5-2 lead. The Gamecocks ended up winning 8-3 and advancing in the winners bracket of the East Carolina regional.
- Arizona men's tennis team defeats Michigan for first NCAA Tournament win since 2009
- Charlie Blackmon’s Home Run Caps Colorado Rockies Comeback Tuesday Night
- Justin Turner Hits 2 Home Runs, Pirates Lose 2-1 To Dodgers
- After season of struggle in Lake Charles, McNeese playing for more than wins at NCAA tournament
- Buried by home runs, LSU's season ends in blowout loss to Tennessee at super regional
- Home runs help Catholic-PC take control early in 13-1 win that ends Cinderella run for ACH
- Texas 'hit a home run' in recruiting pitch to Arch Manning
- Arizona softball team makes NCAA tournament, but are dismayed at Pac-12 seeding
- The Wraparound: What's driving Canadiens' surprising playoff run?
- Betts Homers, Urias Picks Up 9th Win As Dodgers Top Pirates
- Rabalais: For LSU to advance in this NCAA tourney, it may need a latter-day Pat Garrity
- What 2 Retail Stocks Can Tell Us About the Massive Home Furnishings Market
- France, Belgium Favourites to Win Euro 2020, Kane to Finish as Top Goal Scorer, Say Experts
- The Best Dolby Atmos Movies for Your Home Theater | Digital Trends
- WATCH: Memorial Leader Jon Rahm Pulled Over Positive Coronavirus Test
- French Open: Naomi Osaka makes winning start to her Roland Garros campaign; Angelique Kerber falls to defeat
- Red Sox Get ML-Best 20th Comeback Win, Beat Yankees 7-3
- Apple's best product isn't the iPhone, it's the Apple Watch
- Davies Strong, Rizzo, Wisdom Homer In Cubs’ 7-1 Win Vs Padres
- 7 places where air quality sensors are most effective at home
Watch the surprising home run that put Gamecocks ahead for good in NCAA tournament win have 903 words, post on www.thestate.com at June 1, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.