Science fiction has always influenced film, TV, literature and gaming, but what about music? In Jason Heller’s new book,
Strange Stars: David Bowie, Pop Music and the Decade Sci-Fi Exploded
($26.99, Melville House), which he signs tonight, the Denver-based author argues that sci-fi is as much a part of rock & roll as sex and drugs. Bowie and the gentle giants of prog rock are obvious benchmarks; Heller covers nearly all of Bowie’s discography, from 1969’s
to his final record, 2016’s
. Heller also breaks down the 1970s year by year (bookended by the late ’60s and early ’80s) to look at how sci-fi —
2001: A Space Odyssey
, J.G. Ballard,
, etc. — impacted pop, funk, heavy metal, disco and post-punk artists as well, from Rush to Parliament-Funkadelic to X-Ray Spex.
- How Starman David Bowie fell to earth and ch-cha-changed an entire generation
- Who was David Bowie, who was his wife and did he have children?
- VFX Supervisor Andrew Whitehurst Grapples With The Intricacies Of Quantum Physics On Sci-Fi Thriller ‘Devs’
- ‘Separate and Unequal’: How ‘Pop’ Music Holds Black Artists Back
- Book World: In David Mitchell's splendid 'Utopia Avenue,' a '60s rock band finds its groove
- The 70 Greatest Conspiracy Theories in Pop-Culture History
- David and Victoria Beckham’s joy as newly-engaged Brooklyn plans to get married TWICE next year
- Jarvis Cocker Will Never Give Up on Pop
- Why Taylor Swift Is the Reigning Queen of Pop
- David Tennant admits home schooling his five children with his wife Georgia has been a 'challenge'
- Gorgon City, Cyril Hahn and the pop house stars of 2014
- ‘Tenet’ Star Elizabeth Debicki on Her Enigmatic Persona and Keeping the Secrets of Christopher Nolan’s Thriller
- Inside Rockfield Studios where Oasis and Black Sabbath binged on drugs and rock stars made iconic albums
- Pop Smoke Posthumously Rules Artist 100 Chart Following Album Debut
- Hamilton's magic touch! As the musical debuts on Disney+, FEMAIL reveals how the Broadway cast was catapulted to VERY impressive careers in Oscar nominated films, hit Netflix series and writing movie soundtracks
- Rising star from council estate who had the guts to say no to $1m deal from Netflix
- William Shatner Thinks Star Trek Successor Chris Pine Should Play Him in a Biopic
- Why Hairspray star Nikki Blonsky’s career didn’t take off after 2007 film
- 21 ultimate iconic Beckham moments as David and Victoria celebrate their 21st wedding anniversary
- Dance Music Pioneer Kevin Saunderson: The Scene Is Still Failing Black Artists
Strange Stars: David Bowie, Pop Music and the Decade Sci-Fi Exploded have 398 words, post on www.laweekly.com at June 15, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.