- Sara Blakely, founder of Spanx, and her four kids.
- Sara Blakely/Facebook
- Spanx founder Sara Blakely is one of the richest self-made women in the world.
- Blakely said her father encouraged her to always share her failures along with her accomplishments.
- Blakely told Business Insider that she’s passing the lesson onto her four kids: “One of the parenting things I think is so important is not praising the child, but praising the effort.”
From a young age, Spanx founder Sara Blakely was encouraged to take risks.
In a Business Insider video, Blakely said her dad used to invite her and her brother to share their failures at the dinner table. Instead of being disappointed or upset, he would celebrate their efforts.
“What it did was reframe my definition of failure,” Blakely said of the tradition. “Failure for me became not trying, versus the outcome.”
Eventually, Blakely began to find value in her shortcomings.
“My dad would encourage me any time something didn’t go the way I expected it to, or maybe I got embarrassed by a situation, to write down where the hidden gifts were and what I got out of it,” she said. “I started realizing that in everything there was some amazing nugget that I wouldn’t have wanted to pass up.”
While Blakely thinks “so many people don’t take risks for fear of failure,” she isn’t one of them. Despite having next to no knowledge about fashion design, retail, or business, she believed in the idea for her now-ubiquitous shape-wear company wholeheartedly. She spent two years – and $5,000 of her own money – diligently patenting the idea, finding a hosiery manufacturer, prototyping the product, and successfully pitching it to Neiman Marcus, all while working a full-time job.
Business Insider caught up with Blakely at Cosmopolitan and SoFi’s Fun Fearless Money event and asked if she’s continued her dad’s dinner-table tradition with her four kids.
“I’m already having that conversation with my 7-year-old. I talk to him all about, ‘What have you tried to fail at this week?’,” Blakely said.
Though she said it’s still a hard concept for him to grasp, she makes a point to celebrate his efforts, whether it be on the soccer field or at school.
“One of the parenting things I think is so important is not praising the child, but praising the effort,” Blakely said. “And if he does things he’s not good at, I talk to him about what he gets out of it.”
- Katie Price's ex Kieran Hayler says he's constantly learning about being a dad
- 'The best thing is getting dressed!' Holly Willoughby says it will be 'like her wedding day every Sunday' as she plans glamorous Dancing On Ice outfits
- Playboy founder Hugh Hefner dies of natural causes aged 91 surrounded by loved ones at his infamous $100million Beverly Hills mansion
- Cold War traitor George Blake ‘who sent 600 spies to their deaths by betraying them to the Russians’ was flagged as ‘unreliable’ and ‘un-British’ by MI6 superiors
- The one lesson I've learned from life: Martha Lane Fox says seek out all the world has to offer
- Grange Hill cast reunite 43 years on to discuss the importance of teaching kids about drugs in a pre-internet world and meeting First Lady Nancy Reagan
- Trump will not pardon himself, his children or Rudy Giuliani after months of speculation - with Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, Edward Snowden and Tiger King's Joe Exotic all also missing out on president's clemency spree
- Jason Blum Reassures Vassar Grads During COVID-19 Times: “Don’t Let Moments Of Failure And Frustration Distract You”
- Kim Kardashian poses atop a chic tete-a-tete chair in pieces from her newly released SKIMS collections as she bids her followers 'Night!'
- Our kids were left unable to eat or walk by Long Covid and treatment was ‘torture’ – but docs don’t know how to help
- On My Screen: Wanda Sykes’ Childhood Hero In ‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’, Marvel Dreams & The Kids’ Movie That Makes Her Cry
- 'It's unfortunate Melania's not doing the traditional protocol': Ashley Biden confirms First Lady has snubbed her mom Jill with no White House handover - and admits she's worried about her father's inauguration safety after 'horrifying' riot
- The most important job in tech has just been filled, but not in the way we expected
- Killer Chinese coronavirus 'may be passed through SALIVA' as outbreak reaches Taiwan, death toll rises to six and 300 patients are struck down - and experts predict mystery disease will continue to spread
- Rebekah Vardy discusses her postpartum body and her love for period pants as she launches VERY candid new website to show the 'real me'... ahead of Dancing On Ice debut
- Jennifer Lopez stuns in bright white suit at President Biden's inauguration to sing This Land Is Your Land and America The Beautiful... as she references her own hit song Let's Get Loud
- ‘I Want to Meet My Teacher’
- Dancing On Ice 2021: Stars slip into their sequins ahead of this weekend's debut... with Myleene Klass concerned her 'piano fingers' will get SLICED OFF and Rebekah Vardy worried her 'fading botox' will uncover her 'resting b***h face' during the judging
- The 52 best movies on Netflix right now
- Richard Branson's mother Eve dies, aged 96, after Covid battle as billionaire pays tribute to 'fearless' ex-ballet dancer, who was in the Wrens, gave him £100 to start Virgin - and was once helped from Necker Island fire by Kate Winslet
Spanx founder Sara Blakely learned an important lesson about failure from her dad — now she’s passing it on to her 4 kids have 898 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at June 17, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.