New Delhi (Sputnik) — The Indian National Rupee (INR) fell to a record intra-day low on Thursday of 69.10 rupees per US dollar, breaching the previous low of 68.82 on August 28, 2013. The fall in the value of the INR has dampened expectations of higher economic growth as well as employment generation for millions of youths.
JP Morgan economist Sajjid Chinoy believes that the fall in the rupee is a consequence of the trade disputes between the US and China.
Indian National Rupee (INR) falls to 68.52/US dollar. pic.twitter.com/mr8qcfhiU8
— ANI (@ANI) June 28, 2018
Taking a cue from the increasing trend in the growth of national income, Indian Finance Minister Piyush Goyal expressed optimism on June 18 that 10 percent GDP growth by end of the current financial year is possible based on the revival of domestic demand and the dynamism of a society that has become “aspirational.” India has been the world’s fastest-growing major economy for the past six months, achieving 7.7 percent growth in the gross domestic product in the first quarter of 2018.
But, the upward trend in oil prices has been threatening to hurt businesses as it may push input cost of the product in the future. The situation may worsen further for India, as the US has warned Asian buyers to stop importing crude oil from Iran after November of this year. Subsequently, on Thursday, the Indian petroleum ministry, as per industry sources, cautioned its public and private refiners to be prepared for a drastic cut in crude imports from Iran. India imports around 11 percent of its oil from Iran, which is cheaper than other countries due to heavy crude and low transportation costs.
- Steven Mosher: ‘The Swamp Is Going Crazy Over This Idea We’re in a Trade War With China’
- Stocks drop as Trump and China ramp up trade war; Dow falls 570 points
- Stocks drop as Trump and China ramp up trade war; Dow falls 550-plus points
- A Solar Trade War Could Put Us All in the Dark
- White House sends mixed signals on trade fight
- Stocks dive as US proposes more China tariffs; Dow falls 572
- IEA says U.S.-China trade tensions could hit humming global growth, oil demand
- Technology Takes to Securities Trading
- OPINION Can the TV Industry Sustain Falling Prices?
- Let’s Build a Global Power Grid
- Box office hits and misses: Star Wars breaks the billion-dollar record
- World e-waste rises 8 percent by weight in 2 years as incomes rise, prices fall: UN-backed report
- Seven record-breaking roller coasters that will throw you for a loop
- The Falcon Heavy is an absurdly low-cost heavy lift rocket
- Galaxy S9 deals, specs and news: Samsung starts shipping the Galaxy S9, S9+ globally
- Mario Kart Tour Has Record-Breaking Launch
- Just How Dangerous Is Donald Trump?
- Essay: Biotech's Big Chill
- Meet the Amateur Scientist Who Discovered Climate Change
- How America's aging economic expansion could stay alive for years
Indian Rupee Falls to Record Low as Global Trade War Intensifies have 501 words, post on sputniknews.com at June 28, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.