Published 3:09 pm, Monday, June 4, 2018
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
On Monday at its annual developer conference, WWDC, Apple announced the next major update to the iPhone and iPad: iOS 12, the annual upgrade to Apple’s mobile operating system.
The update, likely to arrive this fall, includes some major new features, along with several incremental changes designed to make using your device a lot easier.
Among the notable additions: a standalone Measure app that’s like a virtual tape measure, third-party app support for CarPlay, grouped notifications, and customizable animated avatars called memoji.
iOS 12 should be available later this year as a free update compatible with the same range of devices that can run iOS 11.
Here are all the new features included in iOS 12.
Apple is adding a brand-new app called Measure.
Measure helps you take measurements of real-world objects. The app uses your iPhone’s camera to virtually take accurate readings, letting you see the width, length, and height of things just by tapping your screen.
Plus, if you point Measure at a photo, it’ll automatically detect it and tell you the dimensions.
Apple is making the Photos app smarter and more interactive.
Apple made a bunch of subtle updates to the Photos app, putting it on par with apps like the popular Google Photos:
- Search suggestions. The app will recommend searching for people, places, categories, business names, sporting events, or concerts. When you select a term, the app will pull up all photos related to that term.
- Search refinements. You can search with multiple search terms too.
- For You. The app will automatically generate personalized items like memory movies, features photos, and “on this day” images.
- Sharing suggestions. The Photos app will suggest photos and videos to share with the people who are in them. When someone accepts the images from you, they’ll get a recommendation to share their photos back with you. Apple says that sharing is end-to-end encrypted and works via iMessage.
Apple’s adding Siri Shortcuts to help you speed up your day.
Siri Shortcuts is a way to get things done more quickly. Siri will automatically suggest actions based on how and when you use certain apps. If, for instance, you order a coffee every morning around the same time, Siri will start asking you if you’re ready to order it.
Apple will have several preloaded Siri Shortcuts, or you’ll be able to create your own verbal shortcuts. A phrase like “Help me relax” will trigger a meditation app, or the phrase “Find my keys” will open up the Tile app and start the geolocation process.
- Apple just confirmed a longtime conspiracy theory — and gave customers a big reason to distrust it
- Apps to download: the 10 iPhone, iPad apps that won Apple's Design Awards
- Apple Will Hold September 12 iPhone Event At New Steve Jobs Theater
- Apple seeks tax breaks for suppliers to make iPhones in India: sources
- Massage Envy Announces Major Changes In Sexual Assault Policy
- How they became us: Orange County changed forever in the 40 years since the fall of Saigon
- Big change coming to spring training ... will be TWO days shorter in 2018
- Kansas is one of few states without laws to help dyslexic kids. Are changes coming?
- Apple just became the first $1 trillion public company
- Rerouted: New service changes coming to DDOT Sept. 1
Apple just announced iOS 12 — here are all the major changes coming to iPhones and iPads later this year (AAPL) have 628 words, post on www.mysanantonio.com at June 4, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.