Alice Driver is a freelance journalist and translator whose work focuses on migration, human rights and gender equality. She is currently based in Mexico City. Driver is the author of ” More or Less Dead: Feminicide, Haunting, and the Ethics of Representation in Mexico .” The views expressed in this commentary are solely the author’s.
(CNN) A constant, poetic and fierce love of immigrants and refugees marked chef, writer and storyteller Anthony Bourdain’s life, now tragically ended at the age of 61. He was a tireless advocate for the underdog. He was acutely aware that most of the people who prepare our food — who feed us and wash our dishes — are immigrants.
The suicide rate in the United States has seen sharp increases in recent years. Studies have shown that the risk of suicide declines sharply when people call the national suicide hotline: 1-800-273-TALK.
There is also a crisis text line . For crisis support in Spanish, call 1-888-628-9454.
The lines are staffed by a mix of paid professionals and unpaid volunteers trained in crisis and suicide intervention. The confidential environment, the 24-hour accessibility, a caller’s ability to hang up at any time and the person-centered care have helped its success, advocates say. International Association for Suicide Prevention and Befrienders Worldwide also provide contact information for crisis centers around the world.
- Padma Lakshmi Reveals 'Guys' Guy' Anthony Bourdain Got 'Tender and Sweet' Over Their Daughters
- Anthony Bourdain Wrote the Recipe for Food Television, But There’s No Substitute for Him
- Viral Food Critic Who Anthony Bourdain Defended Against Online Trolls Remembers 'Positive' Chef
- Anthony Bourdain Once Secretly Helped a Child with Cancer Fulfill His Culinary Travel Dream
- Anthony Bourdain Said He Felt a 'Responsibility' To Live For His Daughter, 11, in Recent Interview
- Anthony Bourdain Supports Girlfriend Asia Argento Amid Harvey Weinstein Rape Accusation: 'I Am Proud to Know You'
- Olive Garden Restaurant Review Goes Viral, Charms Anthony Bourdain
- Visionary food and travel journalist Anthony Bourdain, who loved Vietnam, will be missed
- Sadness at Vietnam noodle shop where Bourdain dined with Obama
- Lena Dunham Is Just Not That Into Eliot Spitzer or Anthony Weiner
- Super Bowl 2020: What is Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony's Daughter's Name?
- Marc Anthony gushes about daughter Emme, 11, after her showstopping appearance in her mom Jennifer Lopez's Super Bowl halftime show: 'Daddy is so proud of you'
- Anthony Anderson's mother Doris repeatedly tests his phone service in T-Mobile's hilarious Super Bowl LIV clip
- Man Utd legend Roy Keane blasts Anthony Martial as ‘not quite good enough’ after missing great chance against Liverpool
- Man Utd legend Gary Neville angrily SMASHES FIST into desk after Anthony Martial misses golden chance at Liverpool
- Jon Jones beats Anthony Smith, Kamaru Usman claims welterweight belt at UFC 235
- Family of Tennessee Teen Allegedly Kidnapped by Teacher Releases Video of Her Voice
- Trump Accuses Big Tech of Bias Against Conservative Voices
- Tory Grandees Reportedly Voice Concerns Over Boris Johnson’s Decision on Huawei's Role in UK
- Celebrity Chef Showdown! See Who Had the Bestselling Cookbooks of 2016
Anthony Bourdain was a voice for the underdog have 1319 words, post on edition.cnn.com at June 8, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.