In a harrowing personal essay, former Pixar graphic designer Cassandra Smolcic discusses the habitual sexism and harassment she endured while working for the storied animation giant. Smolcic describes a pervasive atmosphere of harassment and objectification that defined Pixar’s corporate culture, starting with its CCO John Lasseter. Smolcic started working at Pixar as an intern, and from the minute she’s hired she is warned of Lasseter’s notorious lechery: “Oh, John’s gonna LOVE you,” he remarked about one of Pixar’s highest ranking executives, teasing and warning me at the same time. During the next few days, male and female employees alike told me that the company’s Creative Chief Officer, John Lasseter, could be touchy-feely with members of the opposite sex; that he had a tendency to make sexually charged comments to and about women; that interactions with him were often uncomfortable or even mortifying for female Pixarians. The women who endured this unwanted attention often had a less flippant take on it, but on a broader level there was a collective attitude of, “Oh, ha ha; that’s just our John.” In addition to Lasseter, Smolcic endured leering and harassment from various project leaders and co-workers. Coupled with the harassment was a continuous… Read full this story
- The Tension Between Metrics And Design: Lolapps Tackles Facebook
- Interview: Metanet's Sheppard Talks Toronto's Difference Engine Initiative
- GDC 2011: Opinion: Understanding Crawford - Why Chris Crawford Is Misunderstood
- Aliens Among Us: Andy Weir’s The Martian Transports Him to Another World
- This Week In Video Game Criticism: From Overrated To
- More carrot, less stick: Jeffrey Lin on tweaking player behavior
- Interview: 's Ocias Seeks Depth, Player Confrontation
- Irrational Games, journalism, and airing dirty laundry
- Eurogamer Expo 2010: ‘Rage’ Interview with Tim Willits
- This Week in Video Game Criticism: Tropes vs Anita Sarkeesian and the Demise of 'Gamers'
A Former Designer at Pixar Talks About the Company’s Sexist and Toxic Atmosphere in a Damning Essay have 297 words, post on www.themarysue.com at June 28, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.