Meghan Markle’s father will not attend the Royal wedding to walk her down the aisle, it has been claimed, after it emerged he had collaborated with the paparazzi on a series of photographs.
Thomas Markle, 73, said he would no longer be attending his daughter’s wedding to Prince Harry on Saturday, where he was supposed to be taking a starring role.
Mr Markle reportedly told American website TMZ that he had suffered a heart attack six days ago, but had checked himself out of hospital and had been intending to fly to Britain.
He will no longer make the journey to meet his future son-in-law Prince Harry, he said, or keep planned appointments with the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Kensington Palace has not confirmed the accuracy of the report, and have not yet commented.
TMZ, the celebrity gossip website, quoted Mr Markle as saying he meant no harm to Ms Markle or Prince Harry after taking part in an arranged photoshoot with a paparazzi agency.
He allegedly claimed he had not made the decision because of money, but in order to recast his image after a series of unflattering photographs were taken.
“He’s now decided not to go [to the wedding] because he doesn’t want to embarrass the Royal Family or his daughter,” TMZ reported.
Hours earlier, Meghan Markle’s half-sister claimed responsibility for a setting up a controversial paparazzi photoshoot for her father.
Samantha Grant, who is no longer in contact with Ms Markle, said she had suggested their father pose for “positive” photographs “for the benefit of the Royal Family”.
Instead, the images caused deep embarrassment, appearing to show Mr Markle colluding with photographers despite Kensington Palace’s repeated insistence that he was a private individual who had no interest in working with the media.
Ms Grant, writing on Twitter, said: “The bad press over my father doing staged photos is my fault.
“The media was unfairly making him look bad so I suggested he do positive photos for his benefit and the benefit of the royal family.
“We had no idea he would be taken advantage of. It was not for money.”
It is not clear what Ms Grant meant in her claim that he had been “taken advantage of”.
Appearing on Loose Women on Monday, she elaborated to say that she was “entirely the culprit” in staging the photographs, convincing her father that it would be to his advantage to show himself in a positive light.
“It was my suggestion that to benefit him and to benefit the Royal Family and that everyone looked good, and they depict you as you are,” she said.
Pressed on whether he had been paid for his cooperation, Ms Grant said: “I have no idea but if he did I’m going to assume it was a pittance, because they don’t pay that much.
“It was really so that the world could see him doing the healthy things that he’s doing.”
Asked about the effect on Kensington Palace, after aides repeatedly insisted Mr Markle did not wish to be photographed, she conceded: “I can understand why it would be awkward.”
Her brother, also called Thomas, has said that Mr Markle “won’t saying anything publicly but he’ll apologise sincerely to Meg and the Royal Family”.
Mr Markle has been receiving the support of Kensington Palace since news of Ms Markle’s engagement brought him into the public eye, with a source saying aides would “continue to make interventions with the media out of concern for his safety and security”.
Kensington Palace has previously issued warnings to the media not to publish pictures of Mr Markle or Ms Markles mother, Doria Ragland, taken under circumstances of harassment, insisting they had no wish to take part in any personal publicity.
But a series of photographs, printed in the tabloid press, aroused suspicion after showing Mr Markle exercising in public, reading a book called “Images of Britain”, being measured for a suit, and looking up pictures of his daughter in an internet cafe.
This weekend, the Mail on Sunday published CCTV images appearance to show him collaborating with a photographer, walking into the cafe with him and setting up the best angle.
- Thomas Markle 'to make documentary about his life and raising daughter Meghan'
- 'Meghan Markle didn’t love me’, claims estranged father Thomas Markle in court
- Meghan Markle's Father Says She Showed 'No Concern' About His Heart Attack
- How Meghan Markle Told Father He Broke Her Heart 'Into a Million Pieces'
- Meghan's letter to father Thomas Markle focus of Daily Mail lawsuit
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry mark one year since their decision to step back from royal life
- Family heartbroken as dad, 29, found dead on Christmas Day by daughter, 3, after sudden ‘heart attack’
- The REAL story of the Pembrokeshire Murders: From the killer who appeared on Bullseye and his wife so terrified of him she died from a heart attack - to the detective who caught him after 30 years thanks to bloodstained shorts
- Meghan Markle’s heartbroken dad Thomas says ‘I love you’ letter claim is a ‘total lie’
- Meghan Markle’s texts to royal aide that could reveal truth about bombshell letter have been deleted, admit her lawyers
- Meghan Markle’s dad says ‘she didn’t say she loved me or even ask how I was in reconciliation letter’
- Meghan Markle’s dad says letter ‘shut me out and ended relationship’ after ‘I tried everything to get her to talk to me’
- Meghan Markle called for 'nothing other than peace' in letter to dad, court told
- Meghan Markle's dad says letter was 'end of relationship' as she didn't say she loved me
- Behind-the-scenes royal wedding photos: Kate Middleton & Prince William, Princess Diana & Prince Charles, more
- Meghan Markle’s dad Thomas is making a documentary about his life and daughter
- Meghan Markle & Prince Harry warned her dad he could risk their kids’ privacy if he’d staged paparazzi photos
- ‘Anguished’ Meghan Markle forced to write ‘deeply painful’ letter to dad after they hit ‘breaking point’
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'don't regret' Megxit because escaping 'subservience' to Prince William is 'what Harry wanted to do for years', royal biographer tells People
- The winners and losers of Megxit: One year on from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's bombshell announcement, how the Duke's old school pals and the Queen have lost out while Oprah and even Joe Biden have benefitted
Thomas Markle 'will not fly to Meghan and Harry's wedding after suffering heart attack' have 1071 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at May 14, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.