A 17-year-old battled for her life Monday after being raped, doused in kerosene and set on fire, the second such case to shake India as it battles an increase in sexual crimes. The teenager was attacked on the same day and in the same eastern state of Jharkhand as a 16-year-old who was raped and burned to death. “The girl has suffered 70 percent first-degree burns. There is a chance that she will survive,” Shailendra Barnwal, police superintendent of Pakur district, told AFP. Police have arrested a 19-year-old man who lives in the same neighbourhood as the latest victim. “He poured kerosene on the girl and set her on fire,” Barnwal said. The incident happened on Friday, the same day as the similar case in Jharkhand’s Chatra district, which 15 people have been detained over. The main suspect in the first case is said to have been angered by a village council decision that he should do 100 sit-ups and pay a $750 fine for raping the girl, and attacked the girl’s parents and set their house on fire with the teenager inside. The two cases have shone a spotlight on the treatment of rape in India, where some 40,000… Read full this story
- Hong Kong Teen Shot by Police Charged with Rioting and Assault
- India tries to set rules for ride-hailing apps like Uber
- Hawaii School Shooting: Runaway Teen Shot By Police
- Solskjaer gets second chance to re-set United
- India's Infosys sets up U.S. consulting firm
- PUBG News: PUBG Mobile India Tour 2019 Prize Pool Revealed!
- Brazilian Police Recommend Not Charging Neymar in Rape Inquiry
- No Charges for Cristiano Ronaldo in Las Vegas Rape Case
- 2018 ‘Mr. Olympia’ Shawn Rhoden Charged with Rape
- Nonverbal teen with autism found, police say
Second India teen raped, set on fire: police have 288 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at May 7, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.