Teams of professionals reviewing the deaths of the elderly when abuse or neglect is suspected would help protect Florida’s seniors in nursing homes, advocates argue. “I think in every major urban area, it’s absolutely essential that they have an elder death review team in place,” said Paul Greenwood, a former prosecutor in San Diego who headed one of the nation’s largest elder crimes units. He now educates police officers and prosecutors nationwide on pursuing such cases. Greenwood and others argue such review teams would help reduce the practices identified by a USA TODAY NETWORK – FLORIDA investigation into the state’s nursing homes. In 54 deaths where neglect and mistreatment were identified by another state agency from 2013 through 2017, Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration rarely took action and in some cases didn’t investigate the deaths, the Network investigation found. The Network’s series on nursing homes also showed how AHCA rarely takes serious actions against poor-performing nursing homes, and how it has allowed dozens of nursing homes to limp along for years, providing substandard care, and abusing, neglecting and even killing patients with little consequence. Read more: Neglected – Even when staffs cause patients deaths, Florida nursing homes face few penalties… Read full this story
- Florida nursing home employees charged in patient deaths
- The Latest: 4 charged in Florida nursing home deaths
- Judge backs state’s revocation of Hollywood Hills nursing home’s license
- Kentucky lawmakers want a hearing on nursing home staffing. Why it might not happen.
- Residents suffer as only 8% of N.Y. nursing homes comply with proposed staffing law
- South Carolina Nursing Home Abuse Settlements
- Underreported Elder Abuse A Major Problem In Nursing Homes
- Many nursing home residents are abused. Advocates say a Missouri proposal could prevent that
- CMS Proposes Sweeping Changes for Nursing Home Oversight
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s Patients: The Standard of Care of Nursing Homes
Neglected: Could review teams prevent deaths of elderly patients by Florida nursing homes? have 304 words, post on www.naplesnews.com at May 8, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.