CORONATION Street hired a therapist to be on set to talk to cast members if they were affected by Aidan Connor’s suicide storyline.
Series producer Kate Oates wrote to the cast and crew to give them a heads up about the hard-hitting storyline and also hired a counsellor to be on standby if required.
She said: “We had a therapist who people could talk to if they wanted to on set each day.
“Obviously we’re a massive company at Coronation Street and everybody has a very different experience of suicide.”
Kate has found the storyline to be a “cathartic experience” because people she “barely knows” have divulged their inner thoughts and feelings to her as a result of the serious plot.
Speaking at the Coronation Street press day, Kate said: “I’ve felt so close to people that I barely know, because people have opened up and it’s been a cathartic experience.”
Shayne admitted he was left “heartbroken” when he was told his character is going to take his own life, and was “instantly scared” about taking on the storyline because he knew it was a huge responsibility.
He said: “I was asked before Christmas. It’s really tough to watch. I was just full of all different emotions. I was instantly scared, I was nervous, and completely heartbroken, because I knew this was more than just a storyline.
“I knew the impact it’s going to have on the public when it airs. It’s amazing Coronation Street is covering this. I’m still full of all emotions.”
Kate has admitted the show’s bosses initially had reservations about the upcoming plot but they decided to go ahead with the story because the subject touched so many Corrie employees “on a personal level”.
She said: “It’s so important to talk about it because it affects so many people. When we were discussing this storyline and whether or not we wanted to tackle it, initially we were quite reticent and anxious.
MOST READ IN TV & SHOWBIZ
I’M SU SORRY
Susanna Reid reveals Tyson Fury sent her a present after ‘fat shaming’ joke
she’s on fire
Jemma Lucy whips off bikini top as she goes for paddle in the sea in Cyprus
a sher thing?
Sheridan Smith, 36, gets engaged to Tinder toyboy, 28, after just 3 months
ender the road
Dan Osborne moves into pal’s home after split from pregnant Jacqueline Jossa
Matthew Wright quit The Wright Stuff after ‘transgender remarks row with bosses’
TROUBLE IN PARADISE?
Caroline Flack & fiance Andrew Brady look tense after ‘row’ on holiday
“And the more we talked about it, it became apparent that everybody around that table had been affected by suicide in one way or another.
“When you think it’s touched all of us on a personal level – shouldn’t we be discussing this? So that’s what made it a bit of a no brainer.”
Aidan’s body will be discovered by his father Johnny Connor (Richard Hawley) at his Victoria Street flat next week, after the Underworld boss fails to turn up for work at the factory. His suicide will not be shown on screen.
Got a story? email [email protected] or call us direct on 02077824220.
We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.
- What’s Next For Kit Harington, Emilia Clarke, Sophie Turner & ‘Game of Thrones’ Cast Members?
- ENTITY PROJECT – A Female Driven Cast Horror Film by Jandae Percem
- Coronation Street spoilers: Sally Metcalfe rocked as Rosie Webster's fate sealed?
- 'SNL' Cast Member Leslie Jones Calls Out Twitter and CEO In Reportedly Removing Trump-Centered Post
- One 'Jane the Virgin' Cast Member Has Signed on to the Show’s Pending Spinoff
- Where Is ‘Dating Around's’ Sarah Now? Update on Netflix Cast Member
- Meet another ‘Many Saints of Newark’ cast member. The ‘Sopranos’ prequel film will be her first American movie.
- RHONJ: Dolores Catania tells us why it's good to be a cast member of 'Real Housewives'
- ‘Real Housewives of Orange County’ cast member charged with DUI
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco reveals 'special' set prop she plans to keep when show ends