click to enlarge TAKING FIRE: At Boys State. I’ve been making an annual appearance at Arkansas Boys State since 1992. What’s the point? one wiseacre wanted to know today. I didn’t answer quite this way but I often compare it to a zoo . It’s a display of a rare and endangered creature — the Arkansas liberal. More seriously, I say that debate is a good thing, particularly when well-informed, and robust exercise of the 1st Amendment is about as American as you can get. Only an authoritarian (I named no names) would want to squelch differing opinions, I said. Here’s the report from my visit to the UCA assembly today: After a recitation of my usual interests, the Q&A began. No pushback this year on gay rights or marijuana decriminalization. Whether this means a change of heart from some past vocal opposition or merely acceptance of changing norms, I can’t say. Guns and abortion endure as conflict points. The latter doesn’t lend itself much to useful debate, given that the questioners tend to argue religion while I try to stick to law. No matter how fervently someone might believe abortion ought to be considered homicide, the U.S. Supreme Court… Read full this story
- President Trump Urges ‘Loyalty’ as Boy Scouts Boo Barack Obama at Jamboree
- How Is Steven Spielberg Going to Make a Great Movie Out of This God-Awful Book?
- Donald Trump claims Soleimani wanted to blow up MULTIPLE American embassies and claims 'pathetic' Democrats would have leaked plans for strike that killed him if he had informed Congress
- Trump Critics ‘HORRIFIED’ Over Trump’s Wild Speech To The Boy Scouts
- STATE OF THE NATION: Our founding fathers’ dreams must keep us awake — BAKARE
- 'I ask Allah to deliver America to Trump': ISIS jihadis 'are praying for The Donald to win election because it will be great for recruitment'
- That Time Captain America Said ‘Hail Hydra’ and Geekdom Imploded
- The sadism of white men: why America must atone for its lynchings
- Column: I met a cabbie who built a great life and family. Then a passenger killed him downtown
- Iran’s Qasem Soleimani is the Mastermind Preparing Proxy Armies for War With America
Boys State: Making America Great Again have 371 words, post on www.arktimes.com at May 28, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.