NEW: A loose and informal group of Trump advisers outside the White House have been aggressively campaigning to attack Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein as part of a “deep state” plot against the President; @jaketapper reports https://t.co/YCfZrc8yXg pic.twitter.com/55cbg6DA6S
— CNN (@CNN) May 21, 2018
President Donald Trump is reportedly listening to an outside group of advisors regarding how to handle the Justice Department’s refusal to provide unredacted documents to congressional lawmakers.
CNN reported Monday that former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, former Trump deputy campaign manager David Bossie, and president of the Trump Hispanic Advisory Council Steve Cortes are all part of the group that is engaged in what one member described as a “concerted effort…to put pressure on [Deputy Attorney General Rod] Rosenstein to comply with [House Select Committee on Intelligence Chairman Devin] Nunes’ information request.”
The source further told CNN that the outside group of advisors does not believe those inside the White House who are advising the president are aggressive enough when it comes to pushing for the unredacted documents’ release. It should also be noted that, as president, Trump can unilaterally declassify the documents being requested.
The documents that Republicans have requested would reveal critical information as to whether the FBI “spied” on the Trump campaign, as the president has alleged. On Sunday, Trump tweeted his intention to order an investigation into whether his campaign was infiltrated for political purposes. On Monday, Trump formally demanded answers just hours before meeting at the White House with FBI Director Christopher Wray and Rosenstein.
The White House said the meeting with Wray and Rosenstein had been arranged before the president announced his intent to demand an investigation into the alleged “spying.”
[photo via Getty Images]
Follow Jon Street (@JonStreet) on Twitter
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]
- Who is Steve Bannon and what does an indictment against him allege?
- Trump digs in on citizenship question after Supreme Court setback
- Bannon and Maxwell cases display DOJ press strategy chutzpah
- Trump may have power, but he still has no plan to fight the pandemic
- Father of Navy SEAL who died in raid soon after Trump took office criticizes president in political ad
- How James Comey Covered His Ass and Elected Donald Trump
- DOJ could hit Google with an antitrust case by the end of September
- A Self-Proclaimed GOP ‘Bad Guy’ Says He’s Trying to Turn Christians Against Trump
- He investigated Clinton and Trump. Then the Justice Department turned on him.
- Tearful George Conway calls Trump 'evil' and 'racist beyond any question' in footage released as his wife Kellyanne quits White House for sake of family after their 15-year-old daughter said she wants 'emancipation'
- Can Ending ‘Endless Wars’ Save Trump’s Presidency?
- Special Report: Shot by police, thwarted by judges and geography
- The Founder Of We Build The Wall Was Arrested For Fraud. Now Trump Wants Nothing To Do With It.
- 2020 race reset? Trump acceptance speech marks new phase, as GOP looks for convention bounce
- Donald Trump fans snatch up Joe Biden election signs
- Trump Nears Triumph as Kavanaugh Advances to Final Senate Confirmation Vote
- Bank lobbying group launches ad backing Collins re-election bid
- Juan Williams: Swamp creature at the White House
- Five takeaways on GOP's norm-breaking convention
- Navarro: Americans will choose 'tough guy' for president because world is dangerous place
Bannon and Lewandowski Reportedly Persuading Trump to Battle The DOJ have 552 words, post on www.mediaite.com at May 21, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.